Melody Up And Octave - Drag Down to TAB

General notation questions, including advanced notation, formatting, etc., go here.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

Fulcanelli
Finale Version: Finale 2009
Operating System: Windows

Post by Fulcanelli » Thu May 21, 2020 4:34 pm

I am taking a melody from a Finale file and need to raise it an octave, and did so using the Utilities > Transpose UP > octave. I don't want to transpose it to another key, just raise it. Anyway the notes are properly changed in music notation but when I drag down the notes to create tab (and set my lowest fret at 5 in this case), the TAB is is posted in light brown numbers and makes no sense...two adjacent notes A to B in notation appear in TAB as B to A.

Huh?

What would be the proper way to do what I am trying to achieve...moving a melody up and octave and dragging down into TAB?

Fulcanelli

Post by Fulcanelli » Thu May 21, 2020 5:03 pm

Wait a minute...

I created a new file of this section I am working on, entering all the notes fresh - and I'm getting the same result of the drag down TAB not matching the notation.

And I'm wondering if the cause is...

I recently started working with DAWs, Ableton Live Lite and Cubase. I installed the ASIO4all v2 driver. Then I got some hardware the other day, a Focusrite Scarlett digital interface, and after I installed the driver and fired up Ableton Lite, my computer (Win 10) sort of crashed...no sound at all and my screen grayed a bit, which I looked up and learned that sound was disabled. I then went into Admin Tools > Services > Windows Audio and it indicated it was enabled. The online instructions said to make sure it was running. So I did a sys restore to a date before the Focusrite driver and things haven't been totally right since. I noticed that the Focusrite driver is still installed.

Could that crash have reset or interfered with any of my settings in Finale?

Peter Thomsen
Finale Version: Finale v27.4
Operating System: Mac

Post by Peter Thomsen » Thu May 21, 2020 8:06 pm

Fulcanelli wrote:
Thu May 21, 2020 4:34 pm
… when I drag down the notes to create tab (and set my lowest fret at 5 in this case), the TAB is is posted in light brown numbers and makes no sense...two adjacent notes A to B in notation appear in TAB as B to A …
Take a look in
Preferences - Edit

Is the option {Respect Instrument Ranges when Copying or Changing Instruments} selected or de-selected?

If it is selected, try de-selecting it.
Mac OS X 12.6.9 (Monterey), Finale user since 1996

Fulcanelli

Post by Fulcanelli » Sat May 23, 2020 9:54 am

It was checked. I unchecked it. I'll see what happens.

Something I've noticed lately is how long it takes for Finale to boot. It is significantly longer and of course I don't know why. I've recently started using DAW software and like Finale, they utilize VSTs. Could that be the reason, Finale scanning or something along those lines?

Thanks for the help. I have been a Finale customer since 2007. As a guitar teacher it has been very frustrating with all the unattended issues in the TAB program. I used to send files into Finale and they'd tell me everything looked good from their side, end of discussion. I recently posted a query here about page formatting and someone suggested making an adjustment in preferences...and it fixed the problem. Why didn't the tech staff tell me that years ago???

Thanks.

PS - I applied this fix to the document to which I was having issue - and it worked! Does Finale really AI in disguise and change settings on its own, just to frustrate us humans?