First time using graphics tool...wasn't as easy as I'd hoped

General notation questions, including advanced notation, formatting, etc., go here.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

bopeuph
Finale Version: 27
Operating System: Windows

Post by bopeuph » Thu May 21, 2020 6:22 pm

So my client needs a crazy line in the music, and I tried doing a graphics import. I'll just show with a screenshot what's going on.

Any way to fix this without having to spend so much time in shape designer?

motet
Finale Version: 2014.5,2011,2005,27

Post by motet » Thu May 21, 2020 6:26 pm

Try making your squiggle into an EPS file if possible, and import that, instead of a raster image.

As we've seen, using Export to PDF from Finale on Windows is fraught, so I wouldn't do that.

bopeuph

Post by bopeuph » Thu May 21, 2020 6:33 pm

I'll try to get a friend to do that. Thanks.
motet wrote:
Thu May 21, 2020 6:26 pm
As we've seen, using Export to PDF from Finale on Windows is fraught, so I wouldn't do that.
I've noticed that print and export both have their own bugs, so if one doesn't work, I usually try the other one. This one brought two different bugs. Which way do you usually save to PDF?

bopeuph

Post by bopeuph » Thu May 21, 2020 6:43 pm

So I've tried an online converter and I'm getting a blank rectangle with "(embedded)" on it. I'm wondering if the negative space causes issues?

Edit: I used a workaround by importing with Acrobat. That solved the issue.

motet

Post by motet » Thu May 21, 2020 7:32 pm

bopeuph wrote:
Thu May 21, 2020 6:33 pm
Which way do you usually save to PDF?
I use CutePDF, which I've never had a problem with. It uses Gnu Ghostscript, as so some other print-to-PDF apps.

PDF creation was discussed recently here:

viewtopic.php?t=18916&p=75250

I would guess if you have Adobe Acrobat, that's probably good.

bopeuph

Post by bopeuph » Thu May 21, 2020 7:37 pm

Yeah, I convert directly with Adobe usually, but in previous versions there was always the buggy small pages, so I got in the habit of exporting.

Random thing, though, is I had some strange dynamics horizontal alignment issues that was a problem on both exporting and printing to PDF, so I had to move them into ugly spots in Finale to get them to line up properly. The line was kind of crowded (probably 8-9 measures if I remember), but the music looked fine. Ever notice that?

motet

Post by motet » Thu May 21, 2020 8:00 pm

The thread linked-to above it largely about that--have a look. I'd be curious how the test works with Acrobat.

By "small pages" do you mean that when printing, occasionally some pages come out postage-stamp size? That's due to Autosave running as you're printing, and I believe the problem still exists. I generally turn Autosave off when I'm ready to make PDFs, and don't have the problem.

bopeuph

Post by bopeuph » Thu May 21, 2020 8:16 pm

motet wrote:
Thu May 21, 2020 8:00 pm
By "small pages" do you mean that when printing, occasionally some pages come out postage-stamp size? That's due to Autosave running as you're printing, and I believe the problem still exists. I generally turn Autosave off when I'm ready to make PDFs, and don't have the problem.
Exactly. There was a file a couple years ago where nothing I would try kept it from happening, even turning off the autosave feature. It was a large file, something like 200 pages, and everything after about page 75 kept coming out small. That's why I moved onto an export for a long time.

wessmusic
Finale Version: Finale 27.4
Operating System: Mac

Post by wessmusic » Thu May 21, 2020 10:21 pm

Hi bopeuph,

I am not a Win. user, however I could suggest a method, that works on Mac.
Finale, since its version 2006, began to neglect the Graphics import/export capability.

However there is a solution, that many users apply, keeping in mind several provisos:

1. Use only vectorised shapes – namely EPS files with transparent background. Those with white "pad" are not appropriate, unless you need to mask part of the page (i.e. staff/staves).

2. preferably the EPS has to be attached to the bar. Use all handles to adjust the shape.
If the shapes is 1:1 to the original you are using, it will appear as badly rasterised picture. It's not a problem at all – it's just on the screen. This is Finale issue and most probably they'll never fix it.
I use scaling from 3 to 6:1. Then I need to scale down the graphic in Finale in order to fit the space.
The result looks very convincing on the screen, indeed.
In fact you may skip this, but I am very picky and always prefer to see what actually goes on, before to print the copy.

3. when the document/page is ready, go to "print" menu and save as PS file. (on MAC)
(Very long ago, for short period of time I was Win. user.(2002-2008).
I remember, that I ave to instal a PS-driver for some kind of PostScript printer in order to save the file as PS.
For all those years, I believe, that many things have changed and our WIn. colleagues could give you better advice.)

4. use any kind of application that converts PS to PDF. I prefer Acrobat Pro.
(alternatively on Mac –> double click on desired PS file and it immediately starts concerting to PDF in Prevue. Save. It's very simple.)

5. enjoy and post the result!

There is an alternative solution. IMO, more trustworthy one.

Working with very hard textures, full of graphics, where for instance in about 30 pages you have to embed more than 200 EPS files (I had such assignments), I'll suggest you to prepare your Finale file and to export it as PDF using Acrobat or something else, but not Finale (I do not relay on Finale for PDFs), because Finale's PDF files have white background. Than, for the graphical postproduction, use Illustrator or another software.

Lock the original page within Illustrator as layer and add another layer above it for the additional graphics you are going to add. Save each page separately as AI (Illustrator file). Just words of advise!
When the prove reading is done, you can use the additional layer (containing all your added graphics) and copy to the newly improved file.

It takes time, but thus you avoid any additional issues, that will force you to waste your time wandering, hesitating or expecting miracles in forthcoming Finale version.

Cheers,
Wess
CUSTOM FONTS for FINALE and SIBELIUS
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/f0udkrvb8xvh2zj/AAD_8mVlRzzr5mjZKI7BR7Kza?dl=0
________
Finale user since 1994

zuill
Finale Version: Finale 2011-v26.3.1

Post by zuill » Fri May 22, 2020 1:25 pm

I usually create this right in the Shape designer without importing graphics. You'll need to have several segments that are "linked" together. Just be certain to make it the correct size at first, as stretching it in the document will cause gaps between the different segments.

Zuill

P.S.: This took a bit of time, but is close to what you want. If you had to do a lot of them, it could be tedious, but doable. I know my demo is not perfect. There are some slight edits I could have done to perfectly connect the segments, but it's close enough to show my approach.
Windows 10, Finale 2011-v26.3.1
"When all is said and done, more is said than done."

wessmusic
Finale Version: Finale 27.4

Post by wessmusic » Wed May 27, 2020 10:57 pm

Dear zuill,

you have right, but only if the graphics are really simple like these've being posted.
However, when you need to mach the composer's style, I believe, it would be more appropriate and less time consuming to use another program (Incscape, iDraw, Illustrator).

I attempted a test and it turned out, that all added graphics (find attached demo) were done within 2 min 57 sec inc.:
saving the pages as an AI file,
locking the original layer,
creating new layer in order to keep all additional shapes conveniently separated for copying into next revision of the file,
setting all line properties: width, colour, connection etc.
creating the shapes themselves (on this sample only on first two staves. The rest – Vc. and Db.b were done already).

Speaking frankly, I prefer to use the very limited Finale graphic tool, but for shapes that are not complicated or such, that contain numbers of anchor points. Sometimes the free-hand drawing requires very little time in Illustrator compared to Finale.
Apart from that, connecting an iPad (+ Apple pencil) as second monitor via Astropad software speeds up the process and the input is rocket fast. I know that it's an investment, but only ones. And the free apps are also kind of solution if you'll use them sporadically.

My method is simple – working on dense score always I input the music without the applied graphics.
Next – adding the graphics. However, they must be stored on separated location and to stay at my disposal for each of forthcoming prove readings. BTW, Copy/paste from the AI files to DPF takes just few seconds.

Cheers,
Wess
CUSTOM FONTS for FINALE and SIBELIUS
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/f0udkrvb8xvh2zj/AAD_8mVlRzzr5mjZKI7BR7Kza?dl=0
________
Finale user since 1994

michelp
Finale Version: 27.4.1,26.3.1, Mont.

Post by michelp » Thu May 28, 2020 11:30 am

On a side note, there is a useful script for JW Lua (by chris) that can create all kinds of wavy lines, etc... on the French forum "Finalisons" (http://finale-logiciel-aide-gravure-mus ... 897#p25191). The lines follow some predefined parameters.
In French, but not too difficult to understand. You will have to register to that forum.

lines.jpeg

formesondes_plugin.png
Michel
MacOsX 12.7.4, Finale 27.4.1 & 26.3.1, Mac Mini Intel Dual Core i7 3Ghz, 16 Go Ram. Azerty kb. MOTU Midi Express XT USB, Roland Sound Canvas SC-88vl, MOTU Audio Express. 2 monitors (27"' pivot, 24'"), JW Lua, RGP Lua

David Ward
Finale Version: F 25.5 & 26.3

Post by David Ward » Fri May 29, 2020 7:17 am

This is made up from four separate font-based wavy smart lines (available in several different sized waves), but their joining exactly in the Finale file doesn't seem to guarantee exact joins in the PDF. For my purposes that's not the end of the world as long as the player understands what's needed (she will).

The wavy lines don't even begin to line up in the part without separate adjustment, but that's more or less expected.
Finale 25.5 & 26.3
Mac 10.13.6 & 10.14.6

bopeuph

Post by bopeuph » Thu Aug 06, 2020 1:38 pm

Thanks, this whole conversation is saved; although in 20 years, this is the first time I've come across this problem.