Speedy CapsLock tuplet entry Undo

General notation questions, including advanced notation, formatting, etc., go here.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

motet
Finale Version: 2014.5,2011,2005,27
Operating System: Windows

Post by motet » Sun May 24, 2020 6:05 pm

I tried to report the long-standing bug where, if you're using CapsLock mode in Speedy entry to input a series of triplets (CapsLock, 4 for eighth notes and Ctrl-3 for triplet), if you Undo at some point, things get messed up (especially the second or third note of the tripet).

MakeMusic said, "The use of Caps Lock isn't something we've incorporated in to the program as a specific keybind for Speedy Entry," which of course is wrong.

Anyway, I'm wondering if anyone has developed a work-around for this. Deleting the wrong note doesn't help. You can't back up and use MIDI-key+Enter.

Djard
Finale Version: Finale 26

Post by Djard » Mon May 25, 2020 2:27 pm

The question is out of my league, but have you tried entering the notes with "Fill with rests at end of measure" unchecked in "Speedy Options"? When I run into issues, I find disabling automation often helpful. Just a thought.

Maybe creating a different key map might work.

Peter S.
Finale Version: Finale 2009, 27

Post by Peter S. » Tue May 26, 2020 8:51 pm

Motet, I think the problem is that you "kill" a triplet when you use an arrow key on your computer keyboard. That's why things get messed up when you do it with the second or third note. So: when you go back to a note by an arrow, you will have to do this whole triplet again.
I hope you understand what I mean, English is not my native language.
Peter
Finale 2009 and 27/German on Windows 10

motet
Finale Version: 2014.5,2011,2005,27

Post by motet » Tue May 26, 2020 9:45 pm

I'm not using the arrow key. It looks like if you undo back past the current triplet and unto the last note of the previous triplet, then it's on track again, but that could mean re-entering several notes, which I don't think is reasonable. Better to go back and fix the wrong note when done, I think.