Creative use of Finale

General notation questions, including advanced notation, formatting, etc., go here.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

Jetcopy
Finale Version: Finale 2012, 25, 26
Operating System: Mac

Post by Jetcopy » Fri May 29, 2020 12:46 am

I have been asked to work on a project that has some unusual notation.

I remember seeing an example of Finale in the past where it was a staff that was circular. One of the things that I might need to do is to create concentric circles from a staff.

Another one is where a staff starts out normally, then at the right margin the staff makes a 90 degree right turn, then another one and another one, finally creating a square.

Any idea on how to approach something like this?

JT

Peter Thomsen
Finale Version: Finale v27.4

Post by Peter Thomsen » Fri May 29, 2020 5:15 am

Jetcopy wrote:
Fri May 29, 2020 12:46 am
… I remember seeing an example of Finale in the past where it was a staff that was circular …
File menu > Open Worksheets & Repertoire > Repertoire > Classical > Vocal > Billings Connection

The “circles background” is a shape expression.
Note and lyrics added with the Smart Shape Tool.

Jetcopy wrote:
Fri May 29, 2020 12:46 am
… Another one is where a staff starts out normally, then at the right margin the staff makes a 90 degree right turn, then another one and another one, finally creating a square …
I suppose that it could be done in the same way as Billings Connection.
Or perhaps it would be faster to do in a vector based drawing program.
Mac OS X 12.6.9 (Monterey), Finale user since 1996

N Grossingink
Finale Version: 27.3

Post by N Grossingink » Fri May 29, 2020 3:37 pm

Do you have Illustrator? I bet it has a function or plugin that turns a straight line into a circle. Just enter the notation in Finale, convert to PDF, open in Illustrator and press the button. Yeah, right.

The square sounds like it may be easier. Either circle or square, you're probably going to have to rotate and reposition the notation, each little piece at a time.

If you get the "staves" set up, I'd be interested in seeing the result, if you are able post it here.

Good luck!
N. Grossingink
Educational Band, Orchestra and Jazz Ensemble a specialty
Sample: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1pFF5OeJDeLFGHMRyXrubFqZWXBubErw4/view?usp=share_link

Mac Mini 2014 2.6 Ghz, 8Gb RAM
OSX 10.15.7
Finale 2012c, 25.5, 26.3, 27.3

Jetcopy
Finale Version: Finale 2012, 25, 26

Post by Jetcopy » Sat May 30, 2020 3:24 am

Thanks guys for your suggestions. I've never tried anything like this before, I'm going to think long and hard about this one.

wessmusic
Finale Version: Finale 27.4

Post by wessmusic » Sun May 31, 2020 1:19 pm

Hi,
as our colleague N Grossingink suggests, you need to export your file in vector format.
PDF is OK. BTW, there is no "One button" option, believe me, if you work meticulously. For more than 26 years I haven't found proper plugin, that solves my creative ideas in an instant.
Of course, there are many utilities and options in Illustrator, however applying them directly most of them distort the note heads, too.
That's why from this moment and on begins the heavy work.
If you need to keep the note shapes+accidentals intact and for all other element to apply some kind of envelop shape or warp (adjusting their sophisticated options) – go on, experimenting with different setting, that might be appropriate for your expectations.
It takes time, although your willing (and probably the project's budget) are enough as a motivation to force you achieving best results for the publisher.
Personally, I prefer to work on any graphic post-production only in Illustrator, however "Affinity designer" is pretty good alternative and from those, known as affordable options (ca. €50). Despite its own limitation, it's reliable, too.

Cheers,
Wess
CUSTOM FONTS for FINALE and SIBELIUS
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/f0udkrvb8xvh2zj/AAD_8mVlRzzr5mjZKI7BR7Kza?dl=0
________
Finale user since 1994

Nick Mazuk
Finale Version: Finale 26

Post by Nick Mazuk » Wed Jun 03, 2020 3:30 pm

wessmusic wrote:
Sun May 31, 2020 1:19 pm
Hi,
as our colleague N Grossingink suggests, you need to export your file in vector format.
PDF is OK. BTW, there is no "One button" option, believe me, if you work meticulously. For more than 26 years I haven't found proper plugin, that solves my creative ideas in an instant.
Of course, there are many utilities and options in Illustrator, however applying them directly most of them distort the note heads, too.
That's why from this moment and on begins the heavy work.
If you need to keep the note shapes+accidentals intact and for all other element to apply some kind of envelop shape or warp (adjusting their sophisticated options) – go on, experimenting with different setting, that might be appropriate for your expectations.
It takes time, although your willing (and probably the project's budget) are enough as a motivation to force you achieving best results for the publisher.
Personally, I prefer to work on any graphic post-production only in Illustrator, however "Affinity designer" is pretty good alternative and from those, known as affordable options (ca. €50). Despite its own limitation, it's reliable, too.

Cheers,
Wess
Just a quick comment on Affinity Designer, it's my go-to for graphic design of any sort, especially vector works. However, I believe it doesn't support this sort of "bending" graphics. At least in the past when I've spent a couple of hours trying to do it, I couldn't find a way.
Nick