ties

General notation questions, including advanced notation, formatting, etc., go here.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

musicus
Finale Version: Finale v26
Operating System: Mac

Post by musicus » Sat Jun 06, 2020 3:18 pm

I'd like to know whether the right-hand ties in the attached example
would be prone to be confusing or misinterpreted. How do you interpret my intention?
(The passage is to be played without pedal.) Thanks.

John Ruggero
Finale Version: Finale 25.5

Post by John Ruggero » Sat Jun 06, 2020 3:38 pm

Yes, that would be confusing for many. I would notate it the normal way with double note heads and/or stems and long ties. And depending on the situation, you might need to write non pedale, as well.
2020 M1 Mac mini (OS 12.6) Finale 25.5, Dorico, Affinity Publisher, SmartScore 64 Pro, JW Plug-ins, TG Tools, Keyboard Maestro
www.cantilenapress.com

"The better the composer, the better the notation."

musicus

Post by musicus » Sat Jun 06, 2020 8:13 pm

OK, following your example, see meas. 3 & 4 in the attached.
Meas. 4 is how I would have done it prior to seeing your solution; meas.3 applies
your solution, basically. Just considering the upper staff, does meas. 3 look good to you?
John Ruggero wrote:
Sat Jun 06, 2020 3:38 pm
Yes, that would be confusing for many. I would notate it the normal way with double note heads and/or stems and long ties. And depending on the situation, you might need to write non pedale, as well.

John Ruggero

Post by John Ruggero » Mon Jun 08, 2020 2:12 pm

That's it. But you can omit the rests, they are understood. And, of course, do some nice things with the spacing so the dot on the dotted quarter note is not crowded. Check out the bottom system of page 12 (ms. 163 etc. of the last movement) for a famous example of this:

http://ks4.imslp.net/files/imglnks/usim ... ata_14.pdf
2020 M1 Mac mini (OS 12.6) Finale 25.5, Dorico, Affinity Publisher, SmartScore 64 Pro, JW Plug-ins, TG Tools, Keyboard Maestro
www.cantilenapress.com

musicus

Post by musicus » Mon Jun 08, 2020 4:29 pm

Thank you, I agree about spacing so that it looks better as well as accurate. The moonlight example is appreciated. (Have played it many times...) My philosophy on this is to have the score as uncluttered as possible, but to communicate as clearly as possible to the performer. We both probably know of unclear examples throughout the literature. Moonlight itself is an example, which I discuss on a Youtube video, but I hesitate to give the url here. Thanks again for taking the time with my question.
John Ruggero wrote:
Mon Jun 08, 2020 2:12 pm
That's it. But you can omit the rests, they are understood. And, of course, do some nice things with the spacing so the dot on the dotted quarter note is not crowded. Check out the bottom system of page 12 (ms. 163 etc. of the last movement) for a famous example of this:

http://ks4.imslp.net/files/imglnks/usim ... ata_14.pdf

John Ruggero

Post by John Ruggero » Mon Jun 08, 2020 9:06 pm

I agree totally about the clutter, but unfortunately holding notes through each other in keyboard music is something that causes unavoidable complexity given our notational system. Sometimes the double stems are omitted for faster written-out broken chords in a even rhythm, but not, in my experience, in a situation like your OP. Here is another way, that might be less scary for some players:
ties .jpeg
www.cantilenapress.com

ttw
Finale Version: 27.4
Operating System: Windows

Post by ttw » Mon Jun 08, 2020 9:18 pm

I like that one. I could even sight-read it. (I did something similar to make a harp montuno but I didn't notice that one could do it here.) To me, this is the best solution (so far).