Windows 10 - Sound Too Low in Playback

General notation questions, including advanced notation, formatting, etc., go here.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

Fulcanelli
Finale Version: Finale 2009
Operating System: Windows

Post by Fulcanelli » Sun Jun 14, 2020 2:29 pm

I just reinstalled Finale 2014.5 after reinstalling Windows 10. I am working with Cubase and installed the ASIO4ALL driver. When I opened Finale, I had no playback sound. It was set by default to the ASIO4ALL driver. I changed it to Direct Sound driver and now I can hear, but barely. I had this same problem with Finale before reinstalling Windows. An issue with it and Windows 10 perhaps?

I don't know if this matters but when I opened my DAW I had no sound in other programs and changed the sound settings to not allow priority privileges. I see that the makemusic zendesk suggested this too, but it didn't fix the problem.

I can get sound if I change the settings: MIDI/Audio > Play Through MIDI but it is VERY soft.

Is this a Windows or a Finale issue?

How can I fix this?

zuill
Finale Version: Finale 2011-v26.3.1

Post by zuill » Sun Jun 14, 2020 3:48 pm

I had this problem with VST in Windows 7 as well. MIDI tends to be louder. I have never found a fix. In VST, I raise the levels for both the bank and the master level to at least 150, maybe 175. I have to turn up the volume on my external speakers to almost max. If you don't have external speakers, then you're stuck, I guess.

Zuill
Windows 10, Finale 2011-v26.3.1
"When all is said and done, more is said than done."

Fulcanelli

Post by Fulcanelli » Mon Jun 15, 2020 11:02 am

Stuck with it? Hmmm...

Does this problem occur in later versions of Finale? I'm using 2014.5. I teach guitar and the guitar TAB in Finale has many problems that Finale won't fix, the same problems I encountered with when I started using Finale in 2007.

Anders Hedelin
Finale Version: Finale 26, 27.4.1

Post by Anders Hedelin » Tue Jun 16, 2020 10:26 am

I have this problem also with Finale 26 on both Windows 10 and 7. Additionally there is a balance issue: in an orchestral score the lower strings are far too soft. When I give them ff in the score they are audible but just barely.

This possibly goes for other lower instruments as well, but I have not checked, as I don't have too much patience with, or use for, the playback.
Finale 26.3, 27.4.1
Windows 10

Fulcanelli

Post by Fulcanelli » Sat Aug 22, 2020 2:44 pm

Heading in a different direction with this thread...I recently found I can export a finale file (export > midi) right into a DAW (I'm using Studio One) and all the notes are good but the sound levels are all over the map. However I can mix it in the DAW. It's pretty cool.

Djard
Finale Version: Finale 26

Post by Djard » Mon Aug 24, 2020 4:41 am

In the sound settings of Windows, you can boost playback volume; it is in the same place where the microphone sensitivity can be boosted.

In Finale, I set the lead instrument in the mixer to 127. In VST, the master vol. can go up to 200 without clipping.

If using ARIA player as the device, I always go into its GUI/mixer and drag the faders up to maximum, also set ARIA's EQ to +12dB, which does not affect dynamic markings, at least not "fff." I think part of the problem is MakeMusic's insistance on using excessive headroom.

ebiggs1
Finale Version: Finale 27.3

Post by ebiggs1 » Mon Aug 24, 2020 9:22 pm

Do you use the mixers? I have the opposite problem as my output is too loud.
Untitled-1.jpg
Finale 27.4.1 - Perfect Layout Silver - Note Performer 4.4 - SmartScore Pro 64 - Windows 11
President, The Shawnee Concert Band, Composer/Arranger, retired Music Teacher.

Djard

Post by Djard » Tue Aug 25, 2020 1:43 am

There are at least two settings in Windows that regulate output volume: one is in the Control Panel and the other in your soundcard software. If both are boosted above "normal" then the Finale output will be affected.

ebiggs1

Post by ebiggs1 » Tue Aug 25, 2020 1:57 pm

The output level is well controlled with the available mixers. In my case it is sound quality I have issue with. It seems everybody else's (notaion products that is) is better.
Finale 27.4.1 - Perfect Layout Silver - Note Performer 4.4 - SmartScore Pro 64 - Windows 11

Djard

Post by Djard » Thu Aug 27, 2020 2:10 am

Which instruments do not play back well for you, all or just some...in SmartMusic or Garritan or both?

ebiggs1

Post by ebiggs1 » Thu Aug 27, 2020 1:54 pm

Was that reply directed to me? If so I am just hearing a better sound from Not Performer than Finale for instance. For one thing the percussion works which is totally a joke in Finale.
I have GPO and COMB2 plus the included Finale Garritan sounds. I have done some tips from folks that have made the winds sound pretty good at least better than I was getting.

You know in the VST Banks & Effects all the editing is greyed out so you must be in the Aria player to set any of those. Volume is all that works.

oldmkvi
Finale Version: 25
Operating System: Mac

Post by oldmkvi » Thu Aug 27, 2020 3:05 pm

If I was having those problems on my iMac, well,
life wouldn't be nearly as good as it is...
I love composing and arranging directly into Finale, and without Playback, and good playback,
the Fun would be gone.
I make a lot of musical decisions based on what I hear, AND I like hearing what I've written, even if if don't like what I've written.
It's the Ears-On experience that makes it a complete experience.
Parts and Score for when I need them, and Audio
the help get from here to there musically.
And not just helps, it makes it fun/enjoyable in a way that simply entering the notes can't, for me.
It's shameful that Make Music puts out such
a flawed Windows Version.
Why not just switch to Mac?

Fulcanelli

Post by Fulcanelli » Thu Aug 27, 2020 5:20 pm

I attached monitors and the overall volume is much better.