troublous tuplets

General notation questions, including advanced notation, formatting, etc., go here.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

SZPflyer
Finale Version: 26.2.2.494
Operating System: Mac

Post by SZPflyer » Sat Jun 27, 2020 4:13 am

For weeks I've been working to clean up a scanned PDF file imported into Finale 26. Finale has been improved a lot since I last tried it in the late 90s, yet it seems certain features -- managing tuplets -- for example, remain in 1997.

Modifying a tuplet (as shown in the attached files) usually makes a mess of my work. Thus, as a novice Finale user, I'd like to ask if there is a setting somewhere in Finale that I can adjust or turn off while I'm trying to modify a tuplet without bringing down the entire house of cards. Alternatively, is there a respected reference (beyond the Finale manual) that explains how to work with Finale's tuplets?

Many thanks in advance for your suggestions.

John

motet
Finale Version: 2014.5,2011,2005,27
Operating System: Windows

Post by motet » Sat Jun 27, 2020 4:31 am

The PDF scanner made a mess, looks like.

To clean up tuplets like this, use the Tuplet tool and click on the first note of each new tuplet. It looks like you may have picked "3 eighths in the space of 2 eighths" instead of "3 sixteenths in the space of 2 sixteenths". So click on the first note and do the latter, then click on the tied-to F and do the same thing (even though the F is an eighth note).

The third triplet is probably wrong, too--it looks like the 3 is over the sixteenths. Click on the tie-to B and pick "3 eighths in the space of 2 eighths".

If that doesn't fix it, upload your file here (or at least that measure).

SZPflyer

Post by SZPflyer » Sat Jun 27, 2020 6:42 pm

Motet, using your suggestions, I worked on it a few hours this morning, but have to concede that this is an unsolvable problem. I realize my deficiency lies in poor knowledge of music theory, which is matched by my lack of understanding of how Finale works.

I have uploaded the measure causing the current kerfuffle, and a screenshot of what I'm trying to achieve.

Thanks, Motet, for your assistance!

John

motet
Finale Version: 2014.5,2011,2005,27
Operating System: Windows

Post by motet » Sat Jun 27, 2020 7:06 pm

Sorry my instructions were inadequate before and wasted your time. You first need to remove the offending tuplets. From the Selection tool, right-click carefully on the "5" and pick Delete. Do the same with the next "3". It will now look like a mess, but not to worry. Switch to the Tuplet tool, click on the first note, and pick "3 16ths in the space of 2 16ths" and select Placement=Above. Click OK. Then click on the second F and again pick "3 16ths in the space of 2 16ths" (this time it will default to 8ths, so be sure to change that) and once again Placement=Above, and OK. Finally, click on the second B and pick "3 eighths in the space of 2 eighths" this time, Placement=Above, OK.

You should get this:
0545.png
Just a suggestion: it might be more readable if you break that first beam between the tuplets:
0546.png
or perhaps
0547.png

SZPflyer

Post by SZPflyer » Sun Jun 28, 2020 5:28 pm

YES! Thanks to your guidance I fixed the tuplet on the first pass.

Thank you!