Annoying alert when entering too many beats.

General notation questions, including advanced notation, formatting, etc., go here.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

raulk
Finale Version: 25.3.0.276
Operating System: Windows

Post by raulk » Wed Jul 01, 2020 8:16 pm

Finale version 25.3.0.276, PC WIN10. I get an annoying loud clash sound when I accidentally enter too many beats in a measure (which I do too often.) I guess it's called an Alert. It's much louder than the playback volume. I deserve it but I don't like it. How can I turn off or dampen that sound? I see other posts that say to edit sounds in system preferences. I find edit/preferences but I do not find "system preferences" or any place to edit sounds. Suggestions? Thanks.

motet
Finale Version: 2014.5,2011,2005,27

Post by motet » Wed Jul 01, 2020 8:33 pm

Right-click on the speaker icon in the system tray and pick Open volume mixer. Try turning down System Sounds there, which is probably what this is. If that doesn't work, play with the other sliders.

On the sound control panel you can choose what sounds play for which kind of alert, but I don't think you can change individual volumes.

raulk
Finale Version: 25.3.0.276

Post by raulk » Wed Jul 01, 2020 9:06 pm

SOLVED. Thank you very much, motet. I turned off all the system sounds. It had not occurred to me that the sound was out of Finale's preference control. Reminds me of when I asked the I.T. guy where the "any" key was.