Converting from a Sibelius File?

General notation questions, including advanced notation, formatting, etc., go here.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

mark carlson
Finale Version: Finale 27
Operating System: Mac

Post by mark carlson » Tue Jul 07, 2020 7:03 pm

I once had someone copy two pieces of mine into Sibelius at a time when I thought I might convert. I never did convert, and now I really want to edit those files without having to start copying from scratch.

Is there a feasible way to import them into Finale and actually have it work so that I can do my editing in Finale, which I've been using since 1989?

Mark

OS 10.15.4
Finale 26.3.1

miker
Finale Version: Finale 27.4

Post by miker » Tue Jul 07, 2020 7:08 pm

Do you have a PDF? That could be scanned and exported as XML, and imported into Finale.

Do you have the Sibelius files? Maybe someone with Sibelius could open them, and export as XML.

I’ve sent you a PM.
Finale 27 | SmartScorePro 64
Mac OS 13.2.1 Ventura
Copyist for Barbershop Harmony Society

mark carlson

Post by mark carlson » Tue Jul 07, 2020 8:10 pm

miker wrote:
Tue Jul 07, 2020 7:08 pm
Do you have a PDF? That could be scanned and exported as XML, and imported into Finale.

Do you have the Sibelius files? Maybe someone with Sibelius could open them, and export as XML.

I’ve sent you a PM.
I do have the Sibelius files, and I also have Sibelius. So are you saying that if it is exported as XML, I can import that into Finale and it will work?

miker

Post by miker » Tue Jul 07, 2020 8:34 pm

From Google:

To save a Sibelius score as a MusicXML file, go to the Plug-ins menu and select the MusicXML submenu. Then select the “Export MusicXML” item. You will then see a standard save dialog box asking where to save the XML file. By default, this will be the same as your existing Sibelius file name, with “.

It certainly should. Remember, you IMPORT it into Finale.
Mac OS 13.2.1 Ventura

motet
Finale Version: 2014.5,2011,2005,27
Operating System: Windows

Post by motet » Tue Jul 07, 2020 9:27 pm

It should mostly work, though you may need to clean it up a little. Make sure you have the latest plug-in for Sibelius.

https://www.musicxml.com/dolet-plugin/d ... ase-notes/

mark carlson

Post by mark carlson » Wed Jul 08, 2020 1:37 am

motet wrote:
Tue Jul 07, 2020 9:27 pm
It should mostly work, though you may need to clean it up a little. Make sure you have the latest plug-in for Sibelius.

https://www.musicxml.com/dolet-plugin/d ... ase-notes/
I downloaded the dolet-6 plugin, but when I try installing it in the Sibelius folder, I am told I don't have permission to do that. Make Music has a "need help?" button on the download page, but it has no information on how to solve this permissions problem. Googling information about this is not getting me anywhere. Might you know how to solve this?

Thanks!

Mark

motet

Post by motet » Wed Jul 08, 2020 2:09 am

Install it as administrator?

mark carlson

Post by mark carlson » Wed Jul 08, 2020 2:30 am

motet wrote:
Wed Jul 08, 2020 2:09 am
Install it as administrator?
This is one reason I detest Sibelius. I'm always running into these administrator problems, even though it's my own copy of Sibelius, and I am the only one who uses this computer.

I am ignorant. How do I install it as an administrator? I hate to ask such a question, but I googled to find the answer and found nothing that helped.

Thanks,

Mark

mark carlson

Post by mark carlson » Wed Jul 08, 2020 2:36 am

PS When I try to move the Dolet MusicXLM folder, and it says I don't have permission to do that, it say's "To move MusicXML, click Authenticate," but there is nothing anywhere that says "authenticate", much less one that can be clicked.

motet

Post by motet » Wed Jul 08, 2020 2:45 am

I'm not a Mac user--someone will be along shortly, I'm sure.

mark carlson

Post by mark carlson » Wed Jul 08, 2020 2:48 am

motet wrote:
Wed Jul 08, 2020 2:45 am
I'm not a Mac user--someone will be along shortly, I'm sure.
Thanks.

michelp
Finale Version: 27.4.1,26.3.1, Mont.

Post by michelp » Wed Jul 08, 2020 11:14 am

Don't recent versions of Sibelius (from version 7) have a MusicXML export function (which would mean you don't need Dolet) ?
Michel
MacOsX 12.7.4, Finale 27.4.1 & 26.3.1, Mac Mini Intel Dual Core i7 3Ghz, 16 Go Ram. Azerty kb. MOTU Midi Express XT USB, Roland Sound Canvas SC-88vl, MOTU Audio Express. 2 monitors (27"' pivot, 24'"), JW Lua, RGP Lua

BuonTempi

Post by BuonTempi » Wed Jul 08, 2020 11:41 am

mark carlson wrote:
Wed Jul 08, 2020 2:30 am
This is one reason I detest Sibelius. I'm always running into these administrator problems, even though it's my own copy of Sibelius, and I am the only one who uses this computer.
I suspect it's not a Sibelius issue, but a general Mac security one. Computers tend to operate on the "principle of least privilege" https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Principle ... _privilege
in order to reduce very real risks from malware and accidental destruction. You are the only human user, but there are hundreds of processes running, some of which you might launch, and some which the OS launches in order to perform various tasks.

If you are just dragging some files to a privileged location in the Finder, then you should be asked for your admin password.

What is the filepath of the Sibelius plug-in folder?

mark carlson

Post by mark carlson » Wed Jul 08, 2020 3:39 pm

BuonTempi wrote:
Wed Jul 08, 2020 11:41 am
mark carlson wrote:
Wed Jul 08, 2020 2:30 am
I suspect it's not a Sibelius issue, but a general Mac security one. Computers tend to operate on the "principle of least privilege" https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Principle ... _privilege
in order to reduce very real risks from malware and accidental destruction. You are the only human user, but there are hundreds of processes running, some of which you might launch, and some which the OS launches in order to perform various tasks.

If you are just dragging some files to a privileged location in the Finder, then you should be asked for your admin password.

What is the filepath of the Sibelius plug-in folder?
The process of downloading the plug-in, in the installation phase, was an icon of MusicXML with an arrow indicating to drag it into an alias folder of Sibelius 8. That's where I got stuck, when it said I did not have permission to do that. (And if that is not what you mean by filepath, please let me know).

And to make matters more frustrating, a message came up saying "To move MusicXML, click Authenticate," but there is nothing anywhere that says "authenticate", much less one that can be clicked.

So how do I grant myself permission to do this? I can't figure that out, in spite of googling the issue.

Many thanks,

Mark

michelp
Finale Version: 27.4.1,26.3.1, Mont.

Post by michelp » Wed Jul 08, 2020 3:48 pm

Again, Sibelius 8 has MusicXML export, even without Dolet.
File -> Export -> MusicXML
P.S. : I have no idea whether Dolet would produce better results or not.
Michel
MacOsX 12.7.4, Finale 27.4.1 & 26.3.1, Mac Mini Intel Dual Core i7 3Ghz, 16 Go Ram. Azerty kb. MOTU Midi Express XT USB, Roland Sound Canvas SC-88vl, MOTU Audio Express. 2 monitors (27"' pivot, 24'"), JW Lua, RGP Lua

mark carlson

Post by mark carlson » Wed Jul 08, 2020 4:03 pm

michelp wrote:
Wed Jul 08, 2020 3:48 pm
Again, Sibelius 8 has MusicXML export, even without Dolet.
File -> Export -> MusicXML
P.S. : I have no idea whether Dolet would produce better results or not.
OK Thanks! The visual examples I have seen using the Dolet plug-in are superior, but if I can't figure out how to get permission to add the Dolet plug-in, I'll try the Sibelius one.

BuonTempi

Post by BuonTempi » Wed Jul 08, 2020 4:18 pm

mark carlson wrote:
Wed Jul 08, 2020 3:39 pm
The process of downloading the plug-in, in the installation phase, was an icon of MusicXML with an arrow indicating to drag it into an alias folder of Sibelius 8. That's where I got stuck, when it said I did not have permission to do that. (And if that is not what you mean by filepath, please let me know).
A filepath is the full name of folders leading to a file or folder, so something like

Code: Select all

/Library/Application Support/Sibelius/plug-ins

What happens if you double click on the alias folder? Does it bring up a Finder window set to Sibelius's plug-ins folder? Can you then drop the plug-in into there?

mark carlson

Post by mark carlson » Wed Jul 08, 2020 5:06 pm

BuonTempi wrote:
Wed Jul 08, 2020 4:18 pm
mark carlson wrote:
A filepath is the full name of folders leading to a file or folder, so something like

What happens if you double click on the alias folder? Does it bring up a Finder window set to Sibelius's plug-ins folder? Can you then drop the plug-in into there?
BuonTempi wrote:
Wed Jul 08, 2020 4:18 pm
mark carlson wrote:

When I double click on the alias folder, it says that the folder can't be found, and I can't find it anywhere, either. There's nothing in the Applications Support library for Sibelius 8. I guess I am doomed. I'm scouring Sibelius's community forum for help, but so far, nothing.

BuonTempi

Post by BuonTempi » Wed Jul 08, 2020 5:17 pm

According to this support document:

http://www.sibelius.com/download/plugin ... lp=install

you may need to create the relevant folders, if they don't exist.

The location is <user>/Library/Application Support/Avid/Sibelius 8/Plugins/

However, according to this tutorial

https://www.rpmseattle.com/of_note/inst ... -sibelius/

there's a plug-in manager in the software which should automatically download and install any known plug-ins.

mark carlson

Post by mark carlson » Wed Jul 08, 2020 5:26 pm

This is so frustrating. Back to the issue of why I don't have administrative privileges to add the MusicXML to the Sibelius Plugins folder.

I checked to make sure that I have administrative privileges on my computer, and I do. So why am I being denied access to a folder? I checked my permission for that folder, and it says I have it.

mark carlson

Post by mark carlson » Wed Jul 08, 2020 5:51 pm

BuonTempi wrote:
Wed Jul 08, 2020 5:17 pm
According to this support document:

http://www.sibelius.com/download/plugin ... lp=install

you may need to create the relevant folders, if they don't exist.

The location is <user>/Library/Application Support/Avid/Sibelius 8/Plugins/

However, according to this tutorial

https://www.rpmseattle.com/of_note/inst ... -sibelius/

there's a plug-in manager in the software which should automatically download and install any known plug-ins.
Thank you. I tried following those, but still no success. Could it be because those tutorials are from 2012? I dunno.

This just reinforces for me why I think Sibelius is way more trouble than it's worth.

miker

Post by miker » Wed Jul 08, 2020 5:59 pm

Mark,

Maybe you could download the demo of the new version, and try opening and exporting your scores from that.
Mac OS 13.2.1 Ventura

motet

Post by motet » Wed Jul 08, 2020 6:11 pm

Can you reinstall Sibelius?

zuill
Finale Version: Finale 2011-v26.3.1

Post by zuill » Wed Jul 08, 2020 7:00 pm

If it is only 2 files, maybe you can find someone with Sibelius to do it for you. Another option, which takes a lot more cleanup work, is to export a MIDI file and import that into Finale. The first suggestion is better. I'm sure you know somebody with Sibelius. Maybe the one who originally entered it into Sibelius?

Zuill
Windows 10, Finale 2011-v26.3.1
"When all is said and done, more is said than done."

motet

Post by motet » Wed Jul 08, 2020 7:07 pm

I have Sibelius 6. Happy to try.