Changing an articulation without deleting it

General notation questions, including advanced notation, formatting, etc., go here.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

larscampbell
Finale Version: 27.3.1.xxxxxx
Operating System: Mac

Post by larscampbell » Thu Jul 16, 2020 1:58 am

Hi!

I'm working on a large project that was started by someone other than myself. It's a book of Bach's Well-Tempered Klavier with TONS of fingerings. This person created fingerings with the articulation tool. My problem:

I've taken over the project, and the editor has hundreds of changes to the fingerings. I'd like to keep the manual positioning that has already been set in the files. In the expression tool, this is easy. Double click and change the choice. In the ARTICULATION tool, though, not so much. It will let you redefine it, but that would create thousand of wrong fingerings. Is there a way, keyboard shortcut or otherwise, to change that articulation without deleting it and adding it back in? This would save my client hundreds of dollars and me tens and tens of painstaking hours of changing things at 800% zoom.

Thanks in advance!

Finale v26
Mac

zuill
Finale Version: Finale 2011-v26.3.1
Operating System: Windows

Post by zuill » Thu Jul 16, 2020 3:43 am

In Windows, and hopefully in Mac, if you have metatools for what you want, then double tap the metatool key and the articulation will change. For example, if it says 1 and you want 2, double click 2 when the handle is selected and the 1 changes to 2.

If I have misunderstood the issue, then maybe I need a bit of clarification.

Zuill

P.S.: There's also a Change Articulation utility. There you can change many articulations at once.
Windows 10, Finale 2011-v26.3.1
"When all is said and done, more is said than done."

Peter Thomsen
Finale Version: Finale v27.4

Post by Peter Thomsen » Thu Jul 16, 2020 4:40 am

The double tap trick also works in Mac Finale.
I use it a lot.

larscampbell,

To use this {double tap} trick metatools must be programmed for the articulations.
The articulation metatools are document specific (not program specific).

Hopefully all the Finale documents (of Bach's Well-Tempered Klavier) already have programmed articulation metatools, and the same programmed metatools in all the documents.

You can program metatools yourself.
Hold down Shift, and hit the desired trigger key on the computer keyboard.
NB: The programmed metatool will only be programmed for that particular Finale document.
Mac OS X 12.6.9 (Monterey), Finale user since 1996

larscampbell
Finale Version: 27.3.1.xxxxxx

Post by larscampbell » Thu Jul 16, 2020 5:40 pm

Perfect, thanks to you both! That's exactly what I was looking for. It's hard to find that kind of documentation, though the Forum usually has an answer! Hopefully this will help someone else later as well!

Lars

motet
Finale Version: 2014.5,2011,2005,27
Operating System: Windows

Post by motet » Thu Jul 16, 2020 6:52 pm

Unlike the Expression tool, where, if you don't have or don't remember the metatool, you can press Enter and select the one you want, with Articulations you get the definition for that articulation, which is not terribly useful. Hopefully they'll change this at some point to behave like expressions.

There's also Utilties/Change/Articulations, which is powerful but not very convenient.