Finale is forgetful

General notation questions, including advanced notation, formatting, etc., go here.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

ebiggs1
Finale Version: Finale 27.3
Operating System: Windows

Post by ebiggs1 » Fri Jul 17, 2020 9:06 pm

Finale 26 is forgetting one or some instruments when playing back. First playback always seems OK. Closing and re-opening it corrects it. I just trashed perfs which did not help. Anyone else seeing this?

Perhaps trashing Garratan?
Finale 27.4.1 - Perfect Layout Silver - Note Performer 4.4 - SmartScore Pro 64 - Windows 11
President, The Shawnee Concert Band, Composer/Arranger, retired Music Teacher.

Djard
Finale Version: Finale 26

Post by Djard » Mon Jul 20, 2020 6:13 pm

Is the problem occurring in all of your documents?

To rule out file corruption, make a backup copy of the unstable document, export it as a MusicXML, save it as a MUSX file then test the playback.

If the issue is resolved, use the new copy that will probably need some editing if articulations shifted out of place.

ebiggs1
Finale Version: Finale 27.3

Post by ebiggs1 » Tue Jul 21, 2020 12:44 am

Thanx, no it is random. And it has happened on different files not just a single one. It is like to mute button is on but it is not.
Finale 27.4.1 - Perfect Layout Silver - Note Performer 4.4 - SmartScore Pro 64 - Windows 11
President, The Shawnee Concert Band, Composer/Arranger, retired Music Teacher.

Michel R E
Finale Version: Finale 2012, 25, 26

Post by Michel R E » Tue Jul 21, 2020 1:37 am

could it be a RAM problem?
User of Finale since version 3.0 on Windows.
Now using a mix of Finale 2012, Finale 25, and 26.1
GPO, Garritan Solo Stradivari violin, Gofriller Solo Cello.
XSamples Chamber Ensemble.
Absolute convert to NotePerformer3.

Djard
Finale Version: Finale 26

Post by Djard » Tue Jul 21, 2020 3:55 am

Microsoft offers a utility to test RAM that actually works. You could try that.

I often experience loss of playback of different instruments, sometimes because I forget to disable solo of an instrument in the mixer; but the majority of the time the cause is Finale's instability, secondary to complex editing. When that happens, I regain playback of the instruments by re-assigning them. The latter is time-consuming as electric bass guitar gets changed to jazz bass, SmartMusic devices switch to Garritan, volume changes I made in layers reverts back to 100%, etc., etc.

I can write for a 24 peice orchestra without any issues; but the moment I start editing, like changing instrument sounds, adding measures, modifying repeats, assigning percussion maps, the problem you describe surfaces.

I know Finale does not like customized library files. Do you you lose playback of some instruments only after editing, and after repeatedly closing and opening a document, or does the problem occur in a fresh document?

motet
Finale Version: 2014.5,2011,2005,27

Post by motet » Tue Jul 21, 2020 4:58 am

Vary unlikely to be RAM without noticing major problems elsewhere with the computer.