Setting parts format in advance never works

General notation questions, including advanced notation, formatting, etc., go here.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

mark carlson
Finale Version: Finale 27
Operating System: Mac

Post by mark carlson » Tue Jul 21, 2020 5:53 pm

motet wrote:
Tue Jul 21, 2020 5:26 pm
Did you create a new file, or was this with the file you posted above? What exactly did you do trying to redo the page format? When does the error occur? What happens if you open the file above or some other file you already have?
I went to "Preferences" under the Finale menu, chose "new" (see attached). I couldn't see/find any other way, and I was expecting to find somewhere that allowed me to set default page margins, etc., which is definitely not in this place. (I haven't reset those preferences for many years, as you can probably tell).

The error occurs when I now try to open a new file.

I'm able to open any already-existing file without difficulty.

I hope whatever stupid thing I did is fixable!

Thanks,

Mark

motet
Finale Version: 2014.5,2011,2005,27
Operating System: Windows

Post by motet » Tue Jul 21, 2020 6:53 pm

That looks OK. I'm not sure why it's complaining about "no libraries." One can open a document without libraries. The "default document" should have libraries.

The fact that you're getting different results from others who tried your file was what prompted me to suggest that your preferences be reset per the above link. It's somewhat of a misnomer--Finale stores other information in that file besides preferences, and it seems to be the source of a lot of bugs if the wrong things get put in there. Probably worth a try. It will also like fix whatever "no libraries" problem you're having.

mark carlson

Post by mark carlson » Tue Jul 21, 2020 6:55 pm

motet wrote:
Tue Jul 21, 2020 6:53 pm
That looks OK. I'm not sure why it's complaining about "no libraries." One can open a document without libraries. The "default document" should have libraries.

The fact that you're getting different results from others who tried your file was what prompted me to suggest that your preferences be reset per the above link. It's somewhat of a misnomer--Finale stores other information in that file besides preferences, and it seems to be the source of a lot of bugs if the wrong things get put in there. Probably worth a try. It will also like fix whatever "no libraries" problem you're having.
Thanks! I appreciate your help!

motet
Finale Version: 2014.5,2011,2005,27
Operating System: Windows

Post by motet » Tue Jul 21, 2020 7:03 pm

To change your page formats from the defaults, make a template and use that when creating a new file.

mark carlson

Post by mark carlson » Tue Jul 21, 2020 8:21 pm

motet wrote:
Tue Jul 21, 2020 7:03 pm
To change your page formats from the defaults, make a template and use that when creating a new file.
Thank you!