Any way to add 3rd party device as default?

General notation questions, including advanced notation, formatting, etc., go here.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

heinzfan
Finale Version: 27
Operating System: Windows

Post by heinzfan » Sun Aug 02, 2020 7:24 pm

Any time I add an instrument it defaults to "Garritan." I read in the manual that MakeMusic only supports its own products in the sound maps. Is there no way to change that, so that a new instrument will default to a third party device, such as Vienna Ensemble or Kontakt? It's an annoyance to add an instrument and then have to change it from Garritan.
Finale 27, Windows 10, VST: Vienna Instruments/Ensemble/Synchron, Cubase, Kontakt 5

Bill Reed
Finale Version: 25.2

Post by Bill Reed » Sun Aug 02, 2020 9:15 pm

You can create and save a template file(s) with the playback configuration you want.
Finale 25, Overture, Sibelius, Notion, Cubase, StaffPad
Win10 x64, 32GB RAM, Focusrite Scarlett 18i20
Kontakt, VSL VI Pro, VE Pro, EWQL Orch, Choirs and Pianos
August Foster 190

Michel R E
Finale Version: Finale 2012, 25, 26

Post by Michel R E » Sun Aug 02, 2020 10:15 pm

As far as I know, it doesn't obligatorily default to only MM devices.
Mine, for example, defaults to NotePerfomer3.
Check whether you have a choice in the priority list as to which one to set as your default.
User of Finale since version 3.0 on Windows.
Now using a mix of Finale 2012, Finale 25, and 26.1
GPO, Garritan Solo Stradivari violin, Gofriller Solo Cello.
XSamples Chamber Ensemble.
Absolute convert to NotePerformer3.

heinzfan

Post by heinzfan » Mon Aug 03, 2020 1:49 am

Michel R E wrote:
Sun Aug 02, 2020 10:15 pm
As far as I know, it doesn't obligatorily default to only MM devices.
Mine, for example, defaults to NotePerfomer3.
Check whether you have a choice in the priority list as to which one to set as your default.
When I select Midi/Sound Map Priority only Garritan and Smart Music appear, and I don't see any way to add the other devices - which do appear in the Score Manager/Device Column. I couldn't find anything in the help manual to explain how to add any. In the Finale system configuration files there is a Soundmaps.settings file that has zero bytes.

In answer to the earlier suggestion, I have a number of templates, but there are times when I need to create from scratch.
Finale 27, Windows 10, VST: Vienna Instruments/Ensemble/Synchron, Cubase, Kontakt 5

RVS Lee
Finale Version: 25

Post by RVS Lee » Mon Aug 03, 2020 1:37 pm

Pardon the dumb question, but in Score Manager/Device patch libraries appear above a dashed line, and devices below that line. (So in my setup GifF, GPO5 and NP3 appear above that line, Aria Player and NP3 player appear below.) Do you see your 3rd party devices listed above the dashed line, or below? If it is below, Finale is finding the engine associated with the devices but not the actual instrument files.

That would actually suggest a fairly easy fix of making sure that your sound libraries are where finale knows to look for them.

Lemme know!

RVSL

heinzfan

Post by heinzfan » Mon Aug 03, 2020 8:56 pm

RVS Lee wrote:
Mon Aug 03, 2020 1:37 pm
Pardon the dumb question, but in Score Manager/Device patch libraries appear above a dashed line, and devices below that line. (So in my setup GifF, GPO5 and NP3 appear above that line, Aria Player and NP3 player appear below.) Do you see your 3rd party devices listed above the dashed line, or below? If it is below, Finale is finding the engine associated with the devices but not the actual instrument files.

That would actually suggest a fairly easy fix of making sure that your sound libraries are where finale knows to look for them.
Lemme know!

RVSL
Clicking the drop-down in the Sound Manager/Device column appears as below:

none
-------
Garritan Instruments for Finale
SmartMusic SoftSynth
--------
Kontakt
Kontakt 5
Aria Player
Vienna Ensemble
etc...

I have added the directory where the Vienna Library plug-ins reside (via device setup/manage VST plug-ins) but it makes no difference. The help manual states "Editing or adding new Sound Maps for third-party sound libraries is not supported." I presume that means that when I add a new instrument in the Score Manager it will always automatically default to Garritan or SmartSynth, and then I will have to change it.

RVS Lee
Finale Version: 25

Post by RVS Lee » Tue Aug 04, 2020 12:00 am

It appears that you are correct that Finale does not allow for a Vienna Symph Library soundmap, which I find odd since NP3 (also a 3rd party device) does have one. So it looks like you will have to load each patch in the vsl player directly. You can save a (small) amount of time by creating a template with the (empty) vsl player as the device for each instrument; at least you won't have to unload the GIfF patches first.

heinzfan

Post by heinzfan » Tue Aug 04, 2020 1:39 am

RVS Lee wrote:
Tue Aug 04, 2020 12:00 am
It appears that you are correct that Finale does not allow for a Vienna Symph Library soundmap, which I find odd since NP3 (also a 3rd party device) does have one. So it looks like you will have to load each patch in the vsl player directly. You can save a (small) amount of time by creating a template with the (empty) vsl player as the device for each instrument; at least you won't have to unload the GIfF patches first.
Thanks for confirming. I do have several templates that I use for larger works, obviating the need to load samples.