Preferences Finale 25

General notation questions, including advanced notation, formatting, etc., go here.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

Arturo
Finale Version: Finale 25.5, Mojave
Operating System: Mac

Post by Arturo » Wed Aug 05, 2020 2:38 pm

Hi,
I hope you are well,
How do I NOT save preferences in Finale 25 ? and, Is there a way to save Preferences as a library, to load it whenever I want ?
(I'm talking about general preferences, not the document preferences)
Thanks in advance,

Peter Thomsen
Finale Version: Finale v27.4

Post by Peter Thomsen » Wed Aug 05, 2020 3:22 pm

Arturo,

I am not sure I understand.

What is the problem you are trying to solve?

You can quit Finale, and remove the Preferences file.
This is the way to go if the Preferences file has become corrupted.

But when you launch Finale again, it will create a fresh, new Preferences file - with Finale’s default - “factory” - preferences settings.
Finale without Preferences is not possible.

Another way to the same default settings:
In the window Preferences, click the button {Reset All Preferences}.
This step will not {remove the Preferences file, and create a new, fresh Preferences file}, but rather overwrite the existing file. Not good if the file is corrupted.

When you have customized Finale (e. g. chosen Large Tool Icons), you can tell Finale to remember these customizations:
File menu > Save Preferences

Also, Finale will automatically remember the size and position of the current document window.
If you have only one document open, and then close it, then Finale will remember the window’s size and position, and use the same size/position the next time you open a document.

You can make a backup copy of the Preferences file, and keep the backup in a folder.
If the Preferences file gets corrupted, you can trash it, and replace it with a copy of the backup.
Mac OS X 12.6.9 (Monterey), Finale user since 1996

Arturo

Post by Arturo » Wed Aug 05, 2020 3:27 pm

Hi Peter,
Thanks.
I'm not trying to solve any problem, the thing is that I need to change many display colors in order to generate a pdf And then come back to the normal setting.

Peter Thomsen

Post by Peter Thomsen » Wed Aug 05, 2020 3:33 pm

If you use the Graphics Tool to export as PDF, you will get a Black-and-White PDF.

If I understand you correctly, you do not need a Black-and-White PDF, but rather a PDF with certain display colors - right?

Then the solution would be two different Preferences files, one with the normal settings, and another with the special color settings for PDF.
When you need to switch, quit Finale, and swap the Preferences file.
Then, launch Finale again.

Arturo

Post by Arturo » Wed Aug 05, 2020 3:39 pm

Yes that is what I want:

Then the solution would be two different Preferences files, one with the normal settings, and another with the special color settings for PDF.
When you need to switch, quit Finale, and swap the Preferences file.
Then, launch Finale again.

Do you know where's the preference file ?

motet
Finale Version: 2014.5,2011,2005,27
Operating System: Windows

Post by motet » Wed Aug 05, 2020 4:27 pm

Look at this article

https://makemusic.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/ ... inale-etc-

which will show you how to locate the preferences file for your version and platform.

What you're asking for is indeed useful--sometimes you want to change things temporarily for some special use--and it used to exist. There was an option "Save preferences when exiting Finale" which could be unchecked. I kept it unchecked, which meant I could change a preference temporarily without having to remember to put it back. If I really did want a permanent change, there was a separate "Save Preferences" on the menu.

At some point this broke and it saved preferences anyway, regardless of the state of that box. Then they removed the box, their way of fixing a bug, I guess. There's still a "Save Preferences" on the menu, but I'm not sure why you'd need it.

Peter Thomsen

Post by Peter Thomsen » Wed Aug 05, 2020 6:06 pm

Arturo wrote:
Wed Aug 05, 2020 3:39 pm
… Do you know where's the Preferences file ?
Look in the Library folder in your user account, not in the Library folder at root level.
It may be hidden, but try this:
Hold down Option, and look in the Finder’s Go menu.
Because of the Option key, Library is shown in the Go menu.

Look in the Mac OS folder Preferences.
It is a bit tricky: the Finale 25 Preferences file is no longer called what you might expect, i.e. 'Finale 25 Preferences', but 'com.makemusic.finale.fprf' which puts it quite a distance away from the older Finale preference files and makes it easy to miss.

Arturo

Post by Arturo » Thu Aug 06, 2020 8:39 am

Thanks Peter !