Any good books re: placement of divisi rests

General notation questions, including advanced notation, formatting, etc., go here.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

Hector Pascal
Finale Version: Finale 26
Operating System: Mac

Post by Hector Pascal » Thu Aug 20, 2020 10:52 am

Hi all,
In a piano score, I have some instances of divisi writing where both hands play on the treble stave, and indeed sometimes on the bass stave. (Stems up for RH and stems down for LH). I want to place the divisi rests for each hand at precisely the correct heights. I’ve read what Gould advises, and that was helpful, but I am wondering if there are any other books that anyone can recommend which might cover that particular aspect of notation in detail? It is a most intricate affair getting the heights of the divisi rests exactly right.

Cheerio and thanks,
HP

RVS Lee
Finale Version: 25
Operating System: Windows

Post by RVS Lee » Thu Aug 20, 2020 12:11 pm

Gould is without question the most comprehensive reference on music engraving available, so I can't think of another volume to recommend. Instead, you might check out the notat.io site for very knowledgeable (and very opinionated) advice.

gogreen
Finale Version: Finale 26.3

Post by gogreen » Thu Aug 20, 2020 1:09 pm

You might also consider Gardner Read's Music Notation. https://www.amazon.com/Music-Notation-C ... 162&sr=8-1
Art
Finale 27
NotePerformer, GPO5, COMB2
MacOS Ventura 13.6.4
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08BRHBTHT/ref=sr_1_2?dchild=1&keywords=%22Arthur+J.+Michaels%22&qid=1593016536&sr=8-2

John Ruggero
Finale Version: Finale 25.5

Post by John Ruggero » Thu Aug 20, 2020 6:29 pm

Hi Hector, I think your desire to get this right is laudable. Various good editions past and present show that there does seem to be concensus. But I'm not exactly sure what that is and do it entirely by eye.

As RVS Lee suggested, you might pose this question at notat.io. It is a really good one and it would be fun to try to work out the rules.
2020 M1 Mac mini (OS 12.6) Finale 25.5, Dorico, Affinity Publisher, SmartScore 64 Pro, JW Plug-ins, TG Tools, Keyboard Maestro
www.cantilenapress.com

"The better the composer, the better the notation."