Finale on a portrait monitor?

General notation questions, including advanced notation, formatting, etc., go here.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

jrneville
Finale Version: Finale 25
Operating System: Windows

Post by jrneville » Wed Aug 26, 2020 6:30 pm

I would like to display the page view on a "portrait" monitor as opposed to a monitor in the typical "landscape" view. I do not wish to change the orientation of the actual score - portrait score remains portrait when printing - just the way it displays on the monitor so that I can see more of the page.

Thanks!

miker
Finale Version: Finale 27.4
Operating System: Mac

Post by miker » Wed Aug 26, 2020 7:12 pm

Have you tried, yet? I don't have a portrait monitor, so I can't be sure, but I'm certain that other users are doing it that way, sometimes in a second monitor.
Finale 27 | SmartScorePro 64
Mac OS 13.2.1 Ventura
Copyist for Barbershop Harmony Society

jrneville

Post by jrneville » Wed Aug 26, 2020 7:32 pm

Switching the orientation of a display is easily done via Windows. I've done so but the issue is that Finale still displays in landscape (the default) mode and does not take advantage of the vertical real estate.

RVS Lee
Finale Version: 25

Post by RVS Lee » Wed Aug 26, 2020 7:32 pm

Not sure whether you are looking for a hardware rec or a how to...
There are plenty of monitors that mount on a pivot stand and can be physically rotated from landscape to portrait. I've been using my trusty Dell (model 2414) for years and years.

If you already have the hardware, and are asking how to... This is a windows question, rather than finale: right click on the desktop and navigate the pop-up:
Graphic Options - Rotation - Rotate to 90'

At this point, if your monitor is in 'normal' landscape orientation , the image will be "sideways" and you can physically move your monitor, and resize the finale window s needed (or any other window for that matter.)

I'll leave to someone else to discuss adding a second monitor.

Good luck!

RVS Lee
Finale Version: 25

Post by RVS Lee » Wed Aug 26, 2020 7:40 pm

Sorry, our posts crossed paths...
Resizing the finale application window is also a windows issue...
If you click the "box" icon in the top right corner (between the minimize "-" and the close "x") the finale window (any window actually) should resize to fill the entire desktop. You should also be able to resize by dragging on any of the borders. Are those options not working?

jrneville

Post by jrneville » Wed Aug 26, 2020 8:01 pm

Ah ... light bulb just turned on. I need to change the magnification in order for the page to take up as much of the display real estate.

Next issue is that I now have two displays, one landscape and another portrait, but only one mouse which is makes the tracking on the portrait display counter intuitive. I believe this is probably a Windows issue and nothing to do with Finale.

Thanks for your help.

David Ward
Finale Version: F 25.5 & 26.3
Operating System: Mac

Post by David Ward » Thu Aug 27, 2020 9:14 am

I regularly use a 24 inch portrait monitor and when I do replace it I expect to do so with a 27 inch high resolution portrait monitor.

If I need it is possible to use my laptop as a second screen, but I haven't done that for years so don't remember exactly how I made it work.
Finale 25.5 & 26.3
Mac 10.13.6 & 10.14.6

jrneville

Post by jrneville » Thu Sep 03, 2020 2:20 pm

The portrait monitor is great for full orchestral scores. I see you only have 1 screen. How did you manage the mouse orientation? When I got my screen to portrait mode the mouse didn't get the memo so when I'd scroll left to right, for example, the cursor would move up and down.

Michel R E
Finale Version: Finale 2012, 25, 26

Post by Michel R E » Thu Sep 03, 2020 2:59 pm

you have to set your monitor to portrait mode. it will either be in the Windows features for your monitor, or in an app or software directly related to your video card.

for example, I have a small program called NVIDEA Control panel, that switches from portrait to landscape. it comes with the graphics card.
User of Finale since version 3.0 on Windows.
Now using a mix of Finale 2012, Finale 25, and 26.1
GPO, Garritan Solo Stradivari violin, Gofriller Solo Cello.
XSamples Chamber Ensemble.
Absolute convert to NotePerformer3.

jrneville

Post by jrneville » Thu Sep 03, 2020 3:47 pm

My monitor is in portrait mode. I managed this through Windows.

The issue I'm trying to resolve has to do with the mouse which remains in landscape mode so when I scroll left-right the cursor moves up and down.

Michel R E

Post by Michel R E » Thu Sep 03, 2020 4:49 pm

jrneville wrote:
Thu Sep 03, 2020 3:47 pm
My monitor is in portrait mode. I managed this through Windows.

The issue I'm trying to resolve has to do with the mouse which remains in landscape mode so when I scroll left-right the cursor moves up and down.
if your mouse is not responding correctly, then your monitor is not in portrait mode.

or you have incorrect drivers for your mouse.

jrneville

Post by jrneville » Fri Sep 04, 2020 12:07 am

Hey Michel,

My monitor is indeed in portrait mode and there are no issues with the mouse. The actual truth of the matter is too embarrassing to admit in a public forum. (I can't believe my own stupidity!)

Thanks everyone for your input. I now have one monitor working correctly in landscape, the other in portrait, and the mouse goes happily between both.

Cheers!

Michel R E

Post by Michel R E » Fri Sep 04, 2020 1:05 pm

it would help to know what the issue was, regardless of how "stupid" it might have been, just in case this pops up again on the forum from some other user.

sometimes, we might think it was "silly" or "stupid", but it's quite easy to inadvertently overlook something "obvious".

glad you fixed it, however.
:D