Does it not seem odd?

General notation questions, including advanced notation, formatting, etc., go here.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

ebiggs1
Finale Version: Finale 27.3
Operating System: Windows

Post by ebiggs1 » Mon Aug 31, 2020 11:51 pm

Does it not seem odd? To continue my frustration with Finale and the playback it provides, let me ask.

You spend the big bucks, what $500+ bucks now for Finale 26. Then you need to spend another $200 to $300 for better more complete add-on sounds. And, a couple hundred bucks for a plug-in that will create a clean layout. All to do what Finale 26 should do out of the box.
Finale 27.4.1 - Perfect Layout Silver - Note Performer 4.4 - SmartScore Pro 64 - Windows 11
President, The Shawnee Concert Band, Composer/Arranger, retired Music Teacher.

Michel R E
Finale Version: Finale 2012, 25, 26

Post by Michel R E » Tue Sep 01, 2020 12:53 am

the sounds are purely optional.
some people don't use them.
some people use sounds other than the GPO sounds.

MakeMusic offers a basic subset of the GPO sounds freely with Finale (and since when does the upgrade cost $500?)

As for Perfect Layout, well, its optional as well. It's not like you can't get the same result without using the plugin. Sure it makes some things easier, but still, Finale WILL do those things out-of-the-box.

So I don't consider the sounds you purchase to be something that "Finale should do out of the box".
User of Finale since version 3.0 on Windows.
Now using a mix of Finale 2012, Finale 25, and 26.1
GPO, Garritan Solo Stradivari violin, Gofriller Solo Cello.
XSamples Chamber Ensemble.
Absolute convert to NotePerformer3.

Jay Emmes
Finale Version: 25.4.1.164
Operating System: Mac

Post by Jay Emmes » Tue Sep 01, 2020 10:10 am

As for the 'perfect' layout: Finale does not do that 'out of the box' or in any other way. You can check every box on 'Avoid Collision Of:' (Document Options - Music Spacing), but Finale will still produce per staff collisions all over the place. The fact that there is an option to check these boxes suggests that Finale is supposed to provide a collision-free layout, though, but it doesn't.
Avoidance of vertical collision isn't even an option in Finale, so I'm not sure how Finale does provide that 'out of the box'.
Running Finale 25.4.1.163 in OS X 10.11.6

ebiggs1

Post by ebiggs1 » Tue Sep 01, 2020 2:39 pm

the sounds are purely optional.
some people don't use them.
some people use sounds other than the GPO sounds.

MakeMusic offers a basic subset of the GPO sounds freely with Finale (and since when does the upgrade cost $500?)

As for Perfect Layout, well, its optional as well. It's not like you can't get the same result without using the plugin. Sure it makes some things easier, but still, Finale WILL do those things out-of-the-box.
You answer surprised me Michel. From some replies you made that I read by you indicated to me you would agree. However, here is my take on your reply to my "little" frustration rant.

Sounds that are included should work. They should work without extraordinary measures from the user. At least that is how most software works. The fact some don't need them or don't use them is immaterial to whether they should work or not.

Some people don't buy Finale on the upgrade plan. Some have to buy it retail like several of my friends did recently. I really don't know what they paid but I suspect it was plenty. They bought it because of my recommendation which I will never do again. I am sorry I did. I also got the school district to buy Finale 26. That exceeded $500 dollars by a wheelbarrow full.

As to Perfect Layout, MM could just add it as a plug-in. Use it or not, it would be there. They did it for JW and Patterson and TG Tools. They can, should, do it for Perfect Layout. It is obviously something MM hasn't got the ability to do. Don't give me the BS that it would raise the price. It did not significantly increase with the addition of the other plug-ins.

I have two good friends, both good composers, Gavin Lendt and Dr. Gary Ziek (ESU), that are Sibelius users. They are having a field day with my frustrations and Finale 26. If I thought it wouldn't throw me back a year or so, I just might switch this time for sure!
Finale 27.4.1 - Perfect Layout Silver - Note Performer 4.4 - SmartScore Pro 64 - Windows 11

zuill
Finale Version: Finale 2011-v26.3.1

Post by zuill » Tue Sep 01, 2020 3:35 pm

From my experience, Finale is a better bet than Sibelius. It is more difficult to learn, but it gives more control in the long run. If one is happy with "out-of-the-box" simplicity, then maybe Sibelius is better. If one needs customizable engraving control, Finale might be the better choice.

Zuill
Windows 10, Finale 2011-v26.3.1
"When all is said and done, more is said than done."

ebiggs1

Post by ebiggs1 » Wed Sep 02, 2020 3:01 am

Oh, I won't switch. I just go off once in a while because Finale never seems to work the way you expect. I agree if you can figure out how Finale can do anything.
Plus I don't see the new MM folks as helpful at all. Matter of fact I place them in the incompetent level. That is the big difference now and old folks like Yvonne and Justin and the others. Call'em up get right on the phone. Now more than a week gone by and MM hasn't even acknowledged my tech support query. I suspect they won't!