Expression Tool not working

General notation questions, including advanced notation, formatting, etc., go here.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

toddwachsman
Finale Version: Finale 2014.5
Operating System: Windows

Post by toddwachsman » Sat Sep 05, 2020 3:38 am

I am an intermediate level Finale user with Finale 2014.5. The Expression Tool has never given me any trouble until today. When I tried to assign a dynamic, I got a small tab which read: "Expression Se..." I can X out the tab, but I can't get the normal expression menu to come up.

Has anybody else seen this and discovered a way to solve it? I am unable to assign any expressions at the moment.

motet
Finale Version: 2014.5,2011,2005,27

Post by motet » Sat Sep 05, 2020 4:13 am

The first thing to try is restarting Finale, then rebooting the computer. If the problem persists, then you'll have to reset Finale's preferences. Instructions here:
https://makemusic.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/ ... inale-etc-

toddwachsman
Finale Version: Finale 2014.5

Post by toddwachsman » Sat Sep 05, 2020 10:21 am

The preferences reset worked. Thank you so much for the helpful links.

blueshift
Finale Version: 27.2
Operating System: Mac

Post by blueshift » Mon May 17, 2021 12:41 pm

None of these worked. I try to assign a dynamic to a part, and I get the arrows for lyric baselines instead. Did all the steps outlined, and there was no change. When I export a music xml file, I see all the dynamics that didn't appear on the score I'm working on - which unfortunately is a score production file 98% complete and three weeks in the making. I do not want to start over re-creating hundreds of details I had to make manually, as Finale maddeningly still does not do basic, obvious things automatically.
Finale 27.4.1 (since 2.6.3)
MacOS 14 Sonoma - unfortunately
MacMini i7x6 64gb RAM
GPO5 / GCPO / EW Symphonic Choirs / Modern Scoring Brass / Chris Hein Ensemble Strings / Fisk organ (O-Forbes)
Cubase / Studio One

Peter Thomsen
Finale Version: Finale v27.4
Operating System: Mac

Post by Peter Thomsen » Mon May 17, 2021 1:10 pm

blueshift wrote:
Mon May 17, 2021 12:41 pm
… None of these worked. I try to assign a dynamic to a part, and I get the arrows for lyric baselines instead …
Actually the Expression Tool has the baseline arrows, too.

My guess is that you got Expression Tool baseline arrows, not the Lyrics Tool baseline arrows.

If you attach a (small) Finale .musx sample document with the problem here, then I am confident that someone can find out, what is going on.

To reduce the file size you can delete from the sample document all irrelevant items, such as e. g. articulations, chord suffixes &c.
We only need the “pesky” expressions.
Mac OS X 12.6.9 (Monterey), Finale user since 1996