Are these symbols equal to half-capos?

General notation questions, including advanced notation, formatting, etc., go here.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

Tomas E
Finale Version: 25
Operating System: Windows

Post by Tomas E » Thu Sep 10, 2020 5:02 pm

(I've changed the headline from "half frets" to half-capos)

I came across these symbols, and I'm wondering if they are meant to illustrate that you only hold down the lowest three strings with your index finger on the guitar. As opposed to C1, C2 and so on. Although I'm an experienced guitar player I haven't come across them, maybe due to a long period of absence from guitar sheet music.

Frets.png
Last edited by Tomas E on Tue Sep 15, 2020 10:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
Windows 11, Finale 27.4.1

miker
Finale Version: Finale 27.4
Operating System: Mac

Post by miker » Thu Sep 10, 2020 7:51 pm

Maybe it just represents capo position. Do you have an example of it in use?

I looked through a lot of google pages, and couldn't find anything. The closest was this:
Finale 27 | SmartScorePro 64
Mac OS 13.2.1 Ventura
Copyist for Barbershop Harmony Society

Tomas E

Post by Tomas E » Fri Sep 11, 2020 9:14 pm

Ha! I took a closer look at a piece I'm playing at the moment, and there they are, at several places in the score. I haven't actually payed attention to them since the quality of the printing is very poor. It seems as if the C with a | thru it refers to all other position variations but the usual one. That is you shall position your hand at that fret, but not necessarily with your index finger over the whole fret. It can be that strings 1-3 are covered and the rest are open, or that strings no. 1 and 3 are pressed but no. 2 is open. Any variation seems to be possible.

That means that I can go ahead and use them the way I hoped to. :D

thomsmit57

Post by thomsmit57 » Mon Sep 14, 2020 5:17 pm

Tomas E:

The symbols that you posted are called "half-capos." Never "half frets." And just to be clear, I'm not talking about the mechanical devices that guitarists use to raise the pitch or change the key of the music. Talking left hand fingers here.

With a half capo the index finger presses down the first three strings or HIGHEST (pitched) strings. Bottom three strings, or bass strings, are left open or are sometimes stopped with another available finger (or fingers) if a bass note is called for in that position on the neck.

Some older European publications substitute the "C" with a "B," for Barre. Same thing.
You might also see a fraction in front of the C or B, (ie. 4/6 CVII) as in: Capo the first 4 strings at the 7th fret. This editorial addition may mean that the 5th and/or 6th strings will need to be struck open while employing the Capo. Or you'll possibly need your other three available fingers to get at other notes in that area on the fingerboard.

ahh, guitar music; often a whole bunch of information crammed into, over and below one staff.
Guitarist, Composer, Arranger, Publisher, Engraver
Finale 27.4.1
iMac 27" running Ventura OS 13.6.6
Logic Pro 10.7, Korg M1 (vintage 1980s)
www.thomasmithmusic.com

Tomas E

Post by Tomas E » Tue Sep 15, 2020 10:35 am

thomsmit57 wrote:
Mon Sep 14, 2020 5:17 pm
The symbols that you posted are called "half-capos."

Some older European publications substitute the "C" with a "B," for Barre. Same thing.
Thanks! I've never known what the C stands for, that's why I put quotation marks around it. Often you just see III or IV for example, if there are no half-capos there's no need to write the C.

Yeah, I'm used to call it Barré.
thomsmit57 wrote:
Mon Sep 14, 2020 5:17 pm
With a half capo the index finger presses down the first three strings or HIGHEST (pitched) strings. Bottom three strings, or bass strings, are left open or are sometimes stopped with another available finger (or fingers) if a bass note is called for in that position on the neck.
Then I was right from the beginning. Also referred to with the fraction 1/2 in front of it.

But why then the half-capo symbol where there are no such grip? As I wrote in a previous post it seems as if that symbol is used in conjunction with several combinations, at least in the score I'm referring to. Would you say that it's incorrect to use them like that? I'm starting to think so anyway.

Edited: Come to think of it, I would say it's more correct to use only III or IV in that case.

thomsmit57

Post by thomsmit57 » Mon Sep 28, 2020 9:02 pm

Tomas E:

Sorry for the lapse in communication: I actually have been busy and the whole issue just drifted into the past for me.
I'm not sure what you are referring to when you say "why then the half capo when there is no such grip?"
Maybe you could post the score that prompted your questions and you could point out the instances. I'm pretty sure I could explain it if I saw exactly what you were referring to.
I'll look for your reply in the next few days.
Finale 27.4.1
www.thomasmithmusic.com

Tomas E

Post by Tomas E » Fri Oct 02, 2020 8:24 pm

thomsmit57 wrote:
Mon Sep 28, 2020 9:02 pm
Tomas E:

Sorry for the lapse in communication: I actually have been busy and the whole issue just drifted into the past for me.
I'm not sure what you are referring to when you say "why then the half capo when there is no such grip?"
Maybe you could post the score that prompted your questions and you could point out the instances. I'm pretty sure I could explain it if I saw exactly what you were referring to.
I'll look for your reply in the next few days.
I've seen your reply. I'll be back in a day or two, have to scan the page first. 8)

thomsmit57

Post by thomsmit57 » Sun Oct 04, 2020 6:20 pm

Oh, good.
The weather has been beautiful here and I've been outside, but I will check back tomorrow and Tuesday.
Finale 27.4.1
www.thomasmithmusic.com

Tomas E

Post by Tomas E » Mon Oct 05, 2020 6:46 pm

thomsmit57 wrote:
Sun Oct 04, 2020 6:20 pm
Oh, good.
The weather has been beautiful here and I've been outside, but I will check back tomorrow and Tuesday.
Okay, here it is. I think however it's just a misplacement of the half-capo. I think it's meant to be at the last quarter. It's actually the only one in the score that doesn't make sense, but since I wasn't sure of how to interpret them I made an assumption.

Half-capo.png
Half-capo.png (61.52 KiB) Viewed 3113 times

thomsmit57

Post by thomsmit57 » Tue Oct 06, 2020 8:38 pm

Tomas E:

I agree, but taking it one step further; The half capo is not only misplaced, it ultimately doesn't make any sense. That should be a Full capo right there. (IM not so HO) I think it's more mislabeled than it is misplaced. The first finger (left hand) is already moving down from the G#. It makes much more sense and is easier to execute a full capo at the third fret but then change the LH fingerings accordingly. The current fingerings are awkward. I'm assuming we're in standard tuning here, right? Except for Beat 1....well, that can be clearer too! Put the LH 4 in for the third string there, and/or place the zeroes closer to their respective notes. And possibly put the circled '3' for third string there, to make it absolutely clear to the player.
And what do you think is the meaning of the 4 and 0 on the 'and' of the last beat? Do they apply to something happening on the downbeat of the next (unseen) measure? If so, they are out of place. Or is it some weird combination of a unison? With the 'e' first string open, and simultaneously being fingered with 4 on the second string? If this is the case, then it needs to be notated correctly. Unisons on the guitar have to appear together as two separate noteheads. But maybe I'm making something out of nothing there.
Finale 27.4.1
www.thomasmithmusic.com

Tomas E

Post by Tomas E » Wed Oct 07, 2020 7:10 pm

thomsmit57 wrote:
Tue Oct 06, 2020 8:38 pm
Tomas E:

I agree, but taking it one step further; The half capo is not only misplaced, it ultimately doesn't make any sense. That should be a Full capo right there. (IM not so HO) I think it's more mislabeled than it is misplaced. The first finger (left hand) is already moving down from the G#. It makes much more sense and is easier to execute a full capo at the third fret but then change the LH fingerings accordingly. The current fingerings are awkward. I'm assuming we're in standard tuning here, right? Except for Beat 1....well, that can be clearer too! Put the LH 4 in for the third string there, and/or place the zeroes closer to their respective notes. And possibly put the circled '3' for third string there, to make it absolutely clear to the player.
And what do you think is the meaning of the 4 and 0 on the 'and' of the last beat? Do they apply to something happening on the downbeat of the next (unseen) measure? If so, they are out of place. Or is it some weird combination of a unison? With the 'e' first string open, and simultaneously being fingered with 4 on the second string? If this is the case, then it needs to be notated correctly. Unisons on the guitar have to appear together as two separate noteheads. But maybe I'm making something out of nothing there.
No, it's not standard tuning, the E6 string is in D. So the G is on the 5th fret ring finger, open D-string and Bb with the index finger. I have changed the 0 on the last 8th to little finger 5th fret to make it playable. I think that zero is a misprint since just pressing the B and G strings without touching the E1 is almost impossible, at least very awkward.

This is - as I might have mentioned before - an old printout of bad quality. I've had to fill in several notes with a pen to make them visible. However it's a great arrangement by Börje Sandquist of Georgia On My Mind, once you can read it.

Tomas E

Post by Tomas E » Wed Oct 07, 2020 7:12 pm

Tomas E wrote:
Thu Sep 10, 2020 5:02 pm
(I've changed the headline from "half frets" to half-capos)

I came across these symbols, and I'm wondering if they are meant to illustrate that you only hold down the lowest three strings with your index finger on the guitar. As opposed to C1, C2 and so on. Although I'm an experienced guitar player I haven't come across them, maybe due to a long period of absence from guitar sheet music.

Frets.png
Where is the picture? I haven't deleted it to my knowledge.

thomsmit57

Post by thomsmit57 » Thu Oct 08, 2020 1:05 am

ahhh. The 6th string is tuned to D. :oops: That makes much more sense. I wish I would have known that starting out.
I can also see why the half capo/3rd fret is where it is now.
With this new knowledge, it's not an awful place to put it. A little early, maybe, but not out of the question.
Some guitarists like to know when to put a barre down as soon as possible.

Ok. you've explained the 'and' of 4 to me. got it.
Beat 1 can still be a lot clearer.

I'd like to see your work when you've finished.
Please post if you get the chance.
Georgia On My Mind-great song.
Finale 27.4.1
www.thomasmithmusic.com

Tomas E

Post by Tomas E » Thu Oct 08, 2020 10:11 am

thomsmit57 wrote:
Thu Oct 08, 2020 1:05 am
ahhh. The 6th string is tuned to D. :oops: That makes much more sense. I wish I would have known that starting out.
I can also see why the half capo/3rd fret is where it is now.
With this new knowledge, it's not an awful place to put it. A little early, maybe, but not out of the question.
Some guitarists like to know when to put a barre down as soon as possible.

Ok. you've explained the 'and' of 4 to me. got it.
Beat 1 can still be a lot clearer.

I'd like to see your work when you've finished.
Please post if you get the chance.
Georgia On My Mind-great song.
No worries! It's not easy to know if you don't see the whole score.

The work will be available at https://www.sheetmusicplus.com/ in a couple of days or so, mp3 sample file included. If you want to I can send you a PM with a link then.

Thanks for your help! /Tomas