X noteheads

General notation questions, including advanced notation, formatting, etc., go here.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

Anders Hedelin
Finale Version: Finale 26, 27.4.1
Operating System: Windows

Post by Anders Hedelin » Sat Sep 12, 2020 2:55 pm

I have looked for whole and half notes with X noteheads, but not found any really satisfying ones. Very likely it has been discussed here before, but I couldn't find that either. If someone knows about such a thread, please direct me there.

My problem is that in the standard fonts with Finale there are just circular X whole and half notes, as in the first example below. What I would like is the oval form of the white notehead, as in ex. 2. It would be very nice if there were also slanting ovals somewhere out there.
X noteheads.PNG
Finale 26.3, 27.4.1
Windows 10

Peter Thomsen
Finale Version: Finale v27.4
Operating System: Mac

Post by Peter Thomsen » Sat Sep 12, 2020 3:11 pm

You could use normal noteheads, and add the x as a shape expression.
In the Shape Designer you can create an x shape with the line thickness you need.

However, have you considered the readability?

Your attached image shows {circle notehead} with an x, and {oval notehead} with an x.

The {circle notehead} is readable because it is taller - it goes beyond the height of a scale step.

On The Other Hand, the oval notehead could be misread as a “standard” notehead without an x in it - because the notehead does not exceed the height of a scale step.

The better we understand, the better we can help.
If you explain why you need an oval, open {X notehead}, then we might be able to suggest a better solution.
Mac OS X 12.6.9 (Monterey), Finale user since 1996

miker
Finale Version: Finale 27.4
Operating System: Mac

Post by miker » Sat Sep 12, 2020 3:18 pm

This is in Engraver Font Extras:
Finale 27 | SmartScorePro 64
Mac OS 13.2.1 Ventura
Copyist for Barbershop Harmony Society

Anders Hedelin
Finale Version: Finale 26, 27.4.1
Operating System: Windows

Post by Anders Hedelin » Sat Sep 12, 2020 4:30 pm

Peter, I had no other reasons than aesthetic ones. I can well see your point, even if I don't feel that my second, hand-made example is that unclear. The circular noteheads is simply too far from my idea of how notes should look, that's all.

I've seen litterally standard white noteheads with an x inside, and they are really not easy to read. That was the reason why I posted actually - I had an original sent to me with exactly that kind of noteheads, and that started me looking for something better.

Thanks Mike for your tip. I will try it out.
Finale 26.3, 27.4.1
Windows 10