Switching tap states

General notation questions, including advanced notation, formatting, etc., go here.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

mahraun
Finale Version: 26
Operating System: Mac

Post by mahraun » Tue Sep 15, 2020 4:00 pm

On scores in a single meter, I've been using HyperScribe for the Tempo Tap function *only* without a problem. The score I'm working on now contains sections in 3/2 and 4/4. I've created tempo states for each, but I'm not strictly transcribing with a MIDI keyboard (and therefore can't set a MIDI trigger).

So is it possible to change tempo states midstream while just tapping with the spacebar, or do I have to stop-reset-start again at each meter change, or....? Thanks for the help!

Finale 26, MacOS 10.14, MacBookPro early 2015

zuill
Finale Version: Finale 2011-v26.3.1
Operating System: Windows

Post by zuill » Tue Sep 15, 2020 4:27 pm

Using Tempo Tap, going from 4/4 to 3/2 changes from the tap being a quarter note to the tap being a half note. Is this not what you want? If that works, then I don't think you need to change the Tap States at all. Maybe we need more info.

Zuill
Windows 10, Finale 2011-v26.3.1
"When all is said and done, more is said than done."

mahraun

Post by mahraun » Tue Sep 15, 2020 4:55 pm

Part of the challenge is that the 3/2 sections (the piece starts in 3/2) are fast enough to be in one. So I had the Tempo Tap staff alternating between dotted wholes in 3/2 and quarters in 4/4. Moving from the 3/2 dotted whole into the 4/4 quarters worked without incident. But when the piece moved back into 3/2, it started interpreting my tap as you describe.

Am I just going to have to quit being stubborn and get wired to a MIDI keyboard just for this one task? (Or tap my space bar to death in those fast half notes?)

Thanks.

mahraun

Post by mahraun » Tue Sep 15, 2020 11:33 pm

I decided to just tap a section at a time, stop at a meter change, then restart. It ended up working fine. But I’d still like to know if there’s an easier way.