Can't change tablature number to x

General notation questions, including advanced notation, formatting, etc., go here.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

sleepfacingwest
Finale Version: 25.5.0.259
Operating System: Mac

Post by sleepfacingwest » Fri Sep 18, 2020 12:46 pm

Hey all,
I need to change a "notehead" (fret number) to an x in some guitar tablature to indicate a muted string strike. The tablature font is set to Arial which I love because it's clear and easy to read, but when I use the special tools to change the notehead, Finale only shows Arial glyphs. I was going to try to fake it by selecting the lowercase 'x', but then finale actually places a notehead on the tablature staff.
If all else fails, I may be able to create an 'x' expression and then drag it into place on the tablature staff, but that seems pretty hacky. Is there a better way?

zuill
Finale Version: Finale 2011-v26.3.1
Operating System: Windows

Post by zuill » Fri Sep 18, 2020 2:16 pm

In the Note Shape Tool, choose slot 192, which is the Capital A with the grave. That should give the x notehead. For sound, you can mute the note if needed. If you want a sound not muted, but more of a thunk or click, the Garritan Guitar has those sounds. After creating the x, when in Simple Entry, on that note, keep pressing the + key until the highest available sampled pitch is reached, and keep pressing (or just hold the key down). eventually you'll reach the various extra sounds (scratches, squeaks, thunks, thuds).

I've attached the Finale file and a picture. In the file, the x noteheads are yellow, because they're out of range, to get the extra sound effects. The picture shows that when they print, they will print black. There are 16 different effect sounds available in the Garritan Guitar sound sample.

Zuill
Attachments
TAB X Notehead with Extra Sounds.musx
(101.9 KiB) Downloaded 110 times
TAB X Notehead with Extra Sounds.jpg
TAB X Notehead with Extra Sounds.jpg (12.96 KiB) Viewed 1389 times
Windows 10, Finale 2011-v26.3.1
"When all is said and done, more is said than done."

sleepfacingwest
Finale Version: 25.5.0.259
Operating System: Mac

Post by sleepfacingwest » Fri Sep 18, 2020 8:28 pm

Thank you so much for your reply! How did you know which slot it was? I'm assuming this isn't the first time this sort of thing will come up, and I'd like to be able to figure out which slot corresponds to which notehead. Is there a document with all the noteheads to slots listed?

zuill
Finale Version: Finale 2011-v26.3.1
Operating System: Windows

Post by zuill » Fri Sep 18, 2020 10:40 pm

I changed it with Jari's JW Change plugin. It has tools to change noteheads. Actually, you don't need that plugin. Finale has a tool built in: Utilities/Change/Noteheads. By using that to change to the x notehead, you don't even need to know the slot. It does that for you. The slot is for the x notehead in the Maestro Font. The letter in the Arial font is in the same slot as the x in the Maestro font, which is slot 192.

What did you think of those 16 "extra" sounds? Does the mute you are doing need some kind of sound?

Zuill
Windows 10, Finale 2011-v26.3.1
"When all is said and done, more is said than done."