Won't hide cautionary clef

General notation questions, including advanced notation, formatting, etc., go here.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

motet
Finale Version: 2014.5,2011,2005,27
Operating System: Windows

Post by motet » Sun Sep 20, 2020 7:08 pm

Any idea why the cautionary clef is shown here? The cautionary key and time signature are suppressed, but not the clef. This is the end of a movement with another to come, going from tenor clef to bass clef. I solved the problem with a staff style, but am curious why this doesn't work.
Attachments
0700.png
0700.png (21.15 KiB) Viewed 2477 times

zuill
Finale Version: Finale 2011-v26.3.1

Post by zuill » Sun Sep 20, 2020 9:32 pm

Can you post the file so we can examine the situation?

Zuill
Windows 10, Finale 2011-v26.3.1
"When all is said and done, more is said than done."

miker
Finale Version: Finale 27.4
Operating System: Mac

Post by miker » Sun Sep 20, 2020 9:36 pm

It worked for me, but I'm on a Mac.
Finale 27 | SmartScorePro 64
Mac OS 13.2.1 Ventura
Copyist for Barbershop Harmony Society

zuill

Post by zuill » Sun Sep 20, 2020 9:46 pm

I'm guessing there is something involved with the start of a new movement. I have tried to find a variety of settings and options that could trigger that behavior. I'm sure when Motet posts a sample file we will be able to discover the cause. If not, then it's a gremlin.

Zuill

zuill

Post by zuill » Sun Sep 20, 2020 11:04 pm

I'm curious about the Staff Style used to force hiding the cautionary clef.

Anyway, if the measure with the clef change has the option to place the clef after the barline, that might also solve the problem, which shouldn't be happening in the first place.

Zuill

Slavicek
Finale Version: 25

Post by Slavicek » Sun Sep 20, 2020 11:23 pm

And yet in my case, the exact opposite is the problem. I do want to force show a clef, but it doesn't display it (see screen capture), be it cautionary or regular clef. In the rest of the score, it all works well for the other instruments except for the bass clarinet. Could it have something to do with the fact that it's a transposing instrument? It shouldn't, I believe.

Anyway, has anyone experienced something similar with Clef Tool and happens to know a workaround?

And of course, I'm sorry if I'm digressing the topic, but instead of starting a new thread, this one seemed to me closely connected to the original question/problem.
No Clef.JPG
No Clef.JPG (84.72 KiB) Viewed 2440 times

motet
Finale Version: 2014.5,2011,2005,27

Post by motet » Sun Sep 20, 2020 11:25 pm

It turns out that, rather than a cautionary clef, there was a clef change on beat 4.999 (of a 4/4 bar), so it looked like a cautionary, and that's why the staff style was able to hide it. I don't know how this happened. I had selected the measures in the clef tool and pressed 3 to change from bass to tenor clef. When I noticed the handle on the bass clef just now, I was able to delete it and all was well.

I just got into a situation where if I pressed the page forward and back buttons in Page View, the page number changed but the display did not. Oy.

zuill

Post by zuill » Mon Sep 21, 2020 12:59 am

Slavicek wrote:
Sun Sep 20, 2020 11:23 pm
And yet in my case, the exact opposite is the problem. I do want to force show a clef, but it doesn't display it (see screen capture), be it cautionary or regular clef. In the rest of the score, it all works well for the other instruments except for the bass clarinet. Could it have something to do with the fact that it's a transposing instrument? It shouldn't, I believe.

Anyway, has anyone experienced something similar with Clef Tool and happens to know a workaround?

And of course, I'm sorry if I'm digressing the topic, but instead of starting a new thread, this one seemed to me closely connected to the original question/problem.

No Clef.JPG
In my test file, the clef appears. So, we probably have to see your document to find the cause.

Zuill

Slavicek

Post by Slavicek » Mon Sep 21, 2020 8:22 am

In the meantime I have realized that I cannot do basically anything with bass clarinet regarding clefs, in my original file or any new file I create (enclosed in the attachment). I cannot force-show cautionary clefs or even change clefs at all, for that matter. But it does work with other instruments, including your own case of change between movements. As long as it is not a bass clarinet, everything works.

My theory is that it is because bass clarinet changes clef when one displays notes in concert pitch. Traditionally it's notated in treble clef and being transposed a ninth down, but in concert pitch Finale displays it in bass clef. Now interesting happens - if I displayed notes in concert pitch (Document / Display in Concert Pitch), I can do with clefs whatever I want to and it works. But once I switch back to standard treble clef notation, clefs simply disappear. I also didn't manage to achieve much with staff styles (it's quite easy if one wants to hide the clef, but to force-show it is a different story).

I find this very odd. One could theoretically replace the bass clarinet staff with a completely different instrument and rename it to bass clarinet, and of course, pay attention to transpose it all correctly, but as the whole score is almost completely done, I would like to avoid such drastic actions.
Bass Clarinet.musx
(85.43 KiB) Downloaded 88 times

Slavicek

Post by Slavicek » Mon Sep 21, 2020 12:27 pm

Found solution in Score Manager / Transposition / Other / uncheck Set to Clef.
Unnecessarily complicated, but it worked. I don't know if it helps anyhow for your cautionary clefs, but that's what I got so far.