Finale suddenly doesn't recognize my synthesizer

General notation questions, including advanced notation, formatting, etc., go here.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

Capricorn
Finale Version: Finale 25X
Operating System: Mac

Post by Capricorn » Sun Sep 20, 2020 11:46 pm

I'm really desperate! After working normally on Finale, suddenly it wouldn't recognize the synthesizer. I tried what I usually do if this happens with the Midi Internal Speaker set-up but that didn't seem to do anything. I drew the lines between the USB Uno midi interface and the the icon of the device and then did the midi set-up where the "input" and "output" were with plain font (not italic) so I figured it would connect. The "receive midi sync from" only allowed "None," but the "Send Midi Sync" allowed "All" or "None." I noticed earlier that I had to change USB ports for the light in the adapter to come on but it's on now. I also noticed that my USB mouse stopped working around the same time but I changed ports and it was fine.
Capricorn
Attachments
Finale midi connection.jpg
Finale midi connection.jpg (68 KiB) Viewed 1469 times

Hector Pascal
Finale Version: Finale 26

Post by Hector Pascal » Mon Sep 21, 2020 12:29 am

Hi Capricorn, I don't have an authoritative answer, but...
Check if the USB ports on the computer and the midi interface are dust free. (Mine have been known to clog up).
Also, powering down and starting up everything afresh might help.
Have you tried the check box in your picture that says Auto-detect Input device? And the Enable inter-application ports?
Also, some synths like my Roland have a driver that sometimes needs to be updated by downloading the latest one from the web... just a thought.
If I think of anything else, I'll get back to you...
Wishing you success!
Hector.

Capricorn
Finale Version: Finale 25X

Post by Capricorn » Mon Sep 21, 2020 12:32 am

It was the port, wouldn't you know. I tried so many things including hooking up my old Midiman 2X2 but in the end, it turned out to be the port, which also didn't work with my mouse. I'm so relieved. I'll have to work all night to get caught up, but I'm still relieved.
Capricorn

Hector Pascal
Finale Version: Finale 26

Post by Hector Pascal » Mon Sep 21, 2020 12:46 am

Good on you for working it out! Good luck :)
Hector.

edward1212
Finale Version: Finalr 2014
Operating System: Windows

Post by edward1212 » Tue Oct 26, 2021 8:05 pm

I suddenly have the same problem. My Finale 2014.5 recognized my midi usb port on My Motif ES8 until several weeks ago it didn’t. Oddly enough another PC which also has Finale 2014.5 does recognize the Motif using the exact same cable from the same port! I then upgraded my first PC Finale to V27 which did not change things. I then bought a small midi keyboard (AKM320) which is recognized by both PC’s. (Detected as input device). Thank you.