layout problem – horizontal accidental position layer 2

General notation questions, including advanced notation, formatting, etc., go here.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

jqwerty
Finale Version: 25.3
Operating System: Mac

Post by jqwerty » Wed Sep 23, 2020 1:50 pm

Working with an orchestral score, two instruments per staff (layer 1 = player 1, layer 2 = player 2). The score displays great, the problem is with the parts.
Initially I used a definition to create parts, but abandoned this because it made inserting cues much more difficult (I could not get layer 4 to appear because the part definition was only taking layer 1 / layer 2 depending on the part). Instead I am making the parts using staff styles to hide the other player. All fine so far...

Until, there are passages where the two voices are close together and there are accidentals. In the score, the accidentals are horizontally displaced (rightly so) in order to avoid collision. However, in the part I am now faced with all sorts of accidentals that are no longer positioned correctly – and I can't figure out how to move them (or better yet to reset the horizontal positioning). Jari's plugin does not work in this case. Also, all the horizontal positioning I have to do by hand (with the accidental mover tool) now appears in the full score as well, so there are now collisions in the score. This is turning into a nightmare, is there any way short of extracting parts to fix this?

Attaching here jpg examples of where this occurs.
Attachments
Score ex.png
Score ex.png (226.63 KiB) Viewed 1257 times
Flute ex.png
Flute ex.png (101.95 KiB) Viewed 1257 times

zuill
Finale Version: Finale 2011-v26.3.1
Operating System: Windows

Post by zuill » Wed Sep 23, 2020 4:14 pm

I'm trying to replicate the problem and I'm not getting the same behavior. To better help, I would need to examine the file in question, or at least a sample that manifests the behavior you are describing.

Zuill
Windows 10, Finale 2011-v26.3.1
"When all is said and done, more is said than done."

zuill
Finale Version: Finale 2011-v26.3.1

Post by zuill » Wed Sep 23, 2020 4:37 pm

In my test, I created a Staff Style using Blank Notation with Rests. I see that the stock Blank Notation Layer 1 uses Blank Notation. Create your own style using the option Blank Notation with Rests and see what happens.

Zuill
Windows 10, Finale 2011-v26.3.1
"When all is said and done, more is said than done."

motet
Finale Version: 2014.5,2011,2005,27

Post by motet » Wed Sep 23, 2020 4:40 pm

I always advocate giving each instrument its own staff for the parts, then combining them into a separate staff for the score. This eliminates issues with cues and the bugs surrounding part voicing.

jqwerty

Post by jqwerty » Wed Sep 23, 2020 4:45 pm

I'm trying to attach a sample of the score but even with just two staves and five bars the file is still over 500k and I can't attach it.

I was not using the Blank Notation with Rests because this eliminated all the expressions as well; I created a similar staff style that keeps the expressions. Maybe I inadvertently ticked a box?

jqwerty

Post by jqwerty » Wed Sep 23, 2020 4:49 pm

SOLVED! Zuill you helped me discover the problem!

In the staff style I was using for the parts, indeed I did not base it on the Blank Notation with Rests; instead it was simply Blank Notation, while keeping expressions.

I have now modified it to include rests and it works. Thank you