Where did the rest go?

General notation questions, including advanced notation, formatting, etc., go here.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

musicus
Finale Version: Finale v26
Operating System: Mac

Post by musicus » Sun Sep 27, 2020 7:34 pm

This is a strange one: In the upper treble voice (which happens to be layer2), I put a half-note D followed by an 8th rest and then an 8th-note B. But I can't see that 8th rest. How do I make it appear?
Attachments
tst.mus
(47.58 KiB) Downloaded 77 times

Peter Thomsen
Finale Version: Finale v27.4

Post by Peter Thomsen » Sun Sep 27, 2020 7:59 pm

The 8th rest is hidden in front of the 16th rest in Layer 1.

When you are in Simple Entry, in Layer 2, you can move the selection left-right with the arrow keys.
Navigate to the 8th rest, and nudge it upwards with the UpArrow key.
Mac OS X 12.6.9 (Monterey), Finale user since 1996

musicus

Post by musicus » Sun Sep 27, 2020 8:08 pm

I see. Very sharp of you. I was unable to fix this with Simple but I did it with Speedy. Thanks.
Peter Thomsen wrote:
Sun Sep 27, 2020 7:59 pm
The 8th rest is hidden in front of the 16th rest in Layer 1.

When you are in Simple Entry, in Layer 2, you can move the selection left-right with the arrow keys.
Navigate to the 8th rest, and nudge it upwards with the UpArrow key.

Anders Hedelin
Finale Version: Finale 26, 27.4.1
Operating System: Windows

Post by Anders Hedelin » Mon Sep 28, 2020 11:48 am

If you are going to continue with this piece, and want to keep the melody on top, it would be more practical to swap layers. Select the upper staff with Selection tool > Edit > Move/Copy Layers > check the first to boxes > click OK. Then go on entering the melody in layer one, the accompaniment in layer two. I think the rests would behave better that way too.
Finale 26.3, 27.4.1
Windows 10

musicus

Post by musicus » Mon Sep 28, 2020 2:36 pm

You make a valid point. How these switcheroos came about is this: I probably edited something or other in layer 2, then forgot to switch back to layer 1 when adding stuff elsewhere. This could have happened either when I got distracted or I left to get some coffee. Most of the time it's no problem as long as the score looks good, and I know that I can usually figure out which layer is which if need be. Only in this case a rest made a dishonorable decision to hide behind another rest. I never asked it to do such a thing - it made that decision on its own, knowing that I was not paying attention. Now this rest has been exposed for what it really is, for all to see. The truth will out and the rest is history.
Anders Hedelin wrote:
Mon Sep 28, 2020 11:48 am
If you are going to continue with this piece, and want to keep the melody on top, it would be more practical to swap layers. Select the upper staff with Selection tool > Edit > Move/Copy Layers > check the first to boxes > click OK. Then go on entering the melody in layer one, the accompaniment in layer two. I think the rests would behave better that way too.