global font size

General notation questions, including advanced notation, formatting, etc., go here.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

rbsalyer
Finale Version: 2014.5
Operating System: Mac

Post by rbsalyer » Mon Sep 28, 2020 3:46 pm

I have apiece of music...I want the lyrics to be larger in size yet still be attached to the individual notes...

so I went to the interweb and tried to make this work...no go...how can i change the font size from 12 to 14 or even 16?

thanks...r.b

To set the font for lyrics globally

Choose Document > Document Options > Fonts. The Font options appear. See Document Options-Fonts for more details.
From the pop-up menu for lyrics, select the lyric type you want to change (Verse, Chorus, or Section).
Click Set Font. The Font dialog box appears.
Select the type style you want for your lyrics. Under normal circumstances, Finale scales the type size of lyrics proportionally with the piece; if you reduce the music to half size (using the Resize tool), the lyrics also shrink to half size.
If you’d prefer to specify a fixed size for the lyrics, so the text won’t vary with the size of the notes, select the Fixed Size checkbox.

Click OK (or press RETURN) twice. Use this method to set the primary font for your lyrics. If there are occasional variations within this primary font, see To change fonts within a lyric.

motet
Finale Version: 2014.5,2011,2005,27
Operating System: Windows

Post by motet » Mon Sep 28, 2020 3:59 pm

Maybe that only applies to Lyrics you have yet to enter. Instead, open the Lyrics window, select all, and set the size from the pull-down menu there.

rbsalyer

Post by rbsalyer » Mon Sep 28, 2020 4:08 pm

I went to lyrics window...selectedd all and there's no menu item to change font size....

zuill
Finale Version: Finale 2011-v26.3.1
Operating System: Windows

Post by zuill » Mon Sep 28, 2020 4:09 pm

Maybe that option is only available in Windows. There are other utilities for changing existing fonts. You might try one of those.

Zuill

P.S.: I looked in the Mac manual, and it says there are both Edit and Text options at the top of the Lyrics window, but the picture they have does not show those 2 options. I would report this as a documentation error to MakeMusic.

P.P.S.: Aha. I misread the instructions. It says they are in the Menu Bar at the top of the screen. Since I don't have a Mac, I can't confirm where those options actually are.
Windows 10, Finale 2011-v26.3.1
"When all is said and done, more is said than done."

Bill Stevens
Finale Version: Using 26, testing 27

Post by Bill Stevens » Mon Sep 28, 2020 5:45 pm

>> I went to lyrics window...selectedd all and there's no menu item to change font size....

You select the lyrics in that window and then you can use shift-cmd-period to increase the font size, or go to the Text menu at the top of the screen.

::: Bill
Version 26.3 / 27.4 / Mac OS 10.15.5 Catalina
Finale user since the beginning of time.

miker
Finale Version: Finale 27.4

Post by miker » Mon Sep 28, 2020 6:00 pm

To expand on what Bill said, once you have "selected all" in the lyrics window, you can also go to the Text Menu > Font Settings… where you can select the font, the size, the style, and "Fixed size" if you want it.
Finale 27 | SmartScorePro 64
Mac OS 13.2.1 Ventura
Copyist for Barbershop Harmony Society

rbsalyer

Post by rbsalyer » Mon Sep 28, 2020 8:30 pm

I want to thank everyone for the help..and it worked...I selected all the text in the lyrics window...the operned the opened the text box editor window and changed the font size to whatever I wanted. Worked very well...

new problem...the original lyrics spacing was based upon the 12 point type...when I changed the type size to 16...then the words ended up falling on top of each other...

I've looked and looked..cannot find a way to space the verse words based upon the larger font....

help me out please...this project is almost done....

rb

Peter Thomsen
Finale Version: Finale v27.4

Post by Peter Thomsen » Mon Sep 28, 2020 9:32 pm

rbsalyer wrote:
Mon Sep 28, 2020 8:30 pm
… I've looked and looked.…cannot find a way to space the verse words based upon the larger font …
Music Spacing can take care of this.

1) Take a look in
Document menu > Document Options > Music Spacing
In the pane {Avoid Collision of:}, make sure that the option Lyrics is checked.

2) Selection Tool.
Select the region with the larger 16pt size.
Apply Music Spacing. Update Layout.
If the words still collide, consider these two options (or a combination of the two):
- Reduce the scaling percentage by a few %.
- Unlock the systems, and make a layout with fewer measures in each system.
Mac OS X 12.6.9 (Monterey), Finale user since 1996