Scrolling and Playback issues

General notation questions, including advanced notation, formatting, etc., go here.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

ry1633

Post by ry1633 » Wed Nov 04, 2020 10:31 pm

I seem to have some playback issues that impact the Scrolling feature and vice-versa. For me this is Finale 26.3.1.510 under Windows 10-64 bt

1. Play Finale through VST
-Scrolling does not work; is very late in tracking across the page if it works at all
-Playback Audio is wonderful though; I can use my Garritan instruments etc
-cannot export to MP3

2. Play Finale through MIDI
-Scrolling works great - tracks right across the page with no latency at all
-Playback audio is less than desirable; can only use the Microsoft GS Wavetable synth or SmartMusic soft synth
-can export to MP3, but it's only MIDI audio (lesser playback quality)

Ideally I would like to get the Scrolling working correctly with VST audio. Exporting to MP3 would be nice; but I can forego that if I could get the other issues working.

miker
Finale Version: Finale 27.4
Operating System: Mac

Post by miker » Wed Nov 04, 2020 11:32 pm

Export as WAV and use Audacity to create the MP3.
Finale 27 | SmartScorePro 64
Mac OS 13.2.1 Ventura
Copyist for Barbershop Harmony Society

ebiggs1
Finale Version: Finale 27.3
Operating System: Windows

Post by ebiggs1 » Thu Nov 05, 2020 4:16 pm

Exporting to MP3 would be nice; but I can forego that if I could get the other issues working.
If I understand you I don't think you will get that scrolling to ever work. It must have something to do with the large files needed for VST playback. I notice it is even worse if you use a third party sound like Note Performer 3. Perhaps our computers are just too slow? I don't know.
But exporting as a wav and then using Audacity to make the mp3 work very well. I normalize the wav before creating the mp3. Audacity has many other 'effects' options too.
Finale 27.4.1 - Perfect Layout Silver - Note Performer 4.4 - SmartScore Pro 64 - Windows 11
President, The Shawnee Concert Band, Composer/Arranger, retired Music Teacher.

ry1633

Post by ry1633 » Thu Nov 05, 2020 5:53 pm

Oddly enough it seems like I could get the scrolling to work better with previous versions of Finale and on my older slower computer. Now I have a newer machine with plenty of horsepower and I start having these types of problems with Finale. Funny how the tech world is sometimes.

I will probably leave it on VST playback for now and live with it. I just bought the full Garritan Personal Orchestra suite and I'd like to use it as much as I can. Exporting to WAV is ok. I have Audacity. And I also use the AVS4YOU suite of tools - not terribly high-end but very good for what I use them for.

ebiggs1
Finale Version: Finale 27.3
Operating System: Windows

Post by ebiggs1 » Thu Nov 05, 2020 9:54 pm

Oddly enough it seems like I could get the scrolling to work better with previous versions of Finale...

Not really odd. The older versions did not have the overhead of huge sound files to cope with. But I certainly agree things like the switch to 64 bit did not speed up things a whole heck of a lot. Did it?
Finale 27.4.1 - Perfect Layout Silver - Note Performer 4.4 - SmartScore Pro 64 - Windows 11
President, The Shawnee Concert Band, Composer/Arranger, retired Music Teacher.