Change Stem Length

General notation questions, including advanced notation, formatting, etc., go here.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

geleybou
Finale Version: 26
Operating System: Windows

Post by geleybou » Fri Nov 06, 2020 5:32 pm

Hello, is there a way to make the default settings for the stems to reach to the 'notehead' on a tab?

Also, is there a way to change the default stem direction setting?

Just trying to make my banjo tab template a little more precise. Thanks.

Example of what I'm looking for https://imgur.com/a/ZFnkhmo

and what I'm seeing on mine. https://imgur.com/a/EnC8eWW

Thanks

geleybou

Post by geleybou » Fri Nov 06, 2020 5:48 pm

Also, a couple of other questions...

Is there a way to make the default slur direction above the note instead of below?

Is there a way to make this slur favor the same string instead of hopping up to a higher note (as in this example)? https://imgur.com/a/h1MKQXJ

And lastly, is there a way to make the left hand articulations (s, p, h) to move to a default distance above the staff? Or a plugin or process that I could use to get them all at the same height after they are all added?

Thanks so much!

Peter Thomsen
Finale Version: Finale v27.4
Operating System: Mac

Post by Peter Thomsen » Fri Nov 06, 2020 5:58 pm

geleybou wrote:
Fri Nov 06, 2020 5:32 pm
… is there a way to make the default settings for the stems to reach to the 'notehead' on a tab? …
Staff Tool.
Double-click the TAB staff.
In the Staff Attributes, in the pane Items to Display, click the button {Stem Settings…}.
Mac OS X 12.6.9 (Monterey), Finale user since 1996

Peter Thomsen

Post by Peter Thomsen » Fri Nov 06, 2020 6:07 pm

geleybou wrote:
Fri Nov 06, 2020 5:48 pm
… Is there a way to make the default slur direction above the note instead of below? …
No that I know of.
But you can just hit the letter F key to flip a selected slur.
Takes only a fraction of a second.

geleybou wrote:
… Is there a way to make this slur favor the same string instead of hopping up to a higher note (as in this example)? …
I am afraid I do not understand your thoughts.
What your example shows, is standard practice for slurs.

Please explain what you need, and (most important!) why.
When we understand, we might be able to suggest a different solution.

geleybou wrote:
… is there a way to make the left hand articulations (s, p, h) to move to a default distance above the staff? …
Instead of using the Articulation Tool you could use the Expression Tool, or the Lyrics Tool.

geleybou

Post by geleybou » Fri Nov 06, 2020 6:11 pm

Thanks for your replies. Too bad the slurs can't be made to be going up on default, but no worries.

The slur question applies to the note on one string as in this example. https://imgur.com/a/XBBfclb
Last edited by geleybou on Fri Nov 06, 2020 6:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

geleybou

Post by geleybou » Fri Nov 06, 2020 6:17 pm

Sorry for being unclear, I am actually using the custom line tool under the smartshape tool, but I see you can use it under various tools.

I see now the expression tool has the four little arrows that can move all expressions in chunks. It looks like that's the best bet since I'm already using the Lyrics tool for RH fingerings (TMI from the other examples) If I were to use that for these indications, is there a way to isolate other expressions, say, dynamics in a different group for moving around in the layout?

Thanks again,

Peter Thomsen

Post by Peter Thomsen » Fri Nov 06, 2020 9:45 pm

geleybou wrote:
Fri Nov 06, 2020 6:11 pm
… The slur question applies to the note on one string as in this example. https://imgur.com/a/XBBfclb
But why do you need that layout?
Why can you not use the standard practice (which is what Finale does by default)?
What is the problem with the standard practice?
Please explain.

Peter Thomsen

Post by Peter Thomsen » Fri Nov 06, 2020 9:53 pm

geleybou wrote:
Fri Nov 06, 2020 6:17 pm
… If I were to use that for these indications, is there a way to isolate other expressions, say, dynamics in a different group for moving around in the layout? …
Use your own, custom expression categories.
That is exactly the purpose of expression categories.

There are two types of expression categories:

I. Categories that use Staff Assignment Lists (= Dynamics, Expressive Text, Technique Text)

II. Categories that use Score Lists (= Tempo Marks, Tempo Alterations, Rehearsal Marks)

You can create your own, custom expression categories, by duplicating existing categories.
Then, edit the duplicate category, with default fonts, positioning &c.

To create a new category of type I, duplicate one of the categories Dynamics, Expressive Text or Technique Text.

Geddit?

geleybou

Post by geleybou » Fri Nov 06, 2020 10:28 pm

Peter Thomsen wrote:
Fri Nov 06, 2020 9:45 pm
geleybou wrote:
Fri Nov 06, 2020 6:11 pm
… The slur question applies to the note on one string as in this example. https://imgur.com/a/XBBfclb
But why do you need that layout?
Why can you not use the standard practice (which is what Finale does by default)?
What is the problem with the standard practice?
Please explain.
The problem is that this presentation is not standard practice for banjo tablature. I'm trying to get my engraving presentation on par with the Earl Scruggs book. The slurs here are specific to three-finger banjo, in which the phrase the slur is showing is on that particular string. A slur going to another string wouldn't make sense given the musical objectives, as well as the standard for this type of music.

With all due respect, I was hoping for help avoiding the laborious task of dragging and forming all of these slurs, as I know the presentation that I'm trying to achieve, and I don't want to use confusing notation just because it is standard for finale.

Thank you.