Automatic slur placement underneath tab 'notehead'

General notation questions, including advanced notation, formatting, etc., go here.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

geleybou
Finale Version: 26
Operating System: Windows

Post by geleybou » Sun Nov 08, 2020 3:31 am

Hello,

I just wanted to present this question more directly to the wider forum, as it was buried in another thread, in hopes that another person on the site might have some helpful advice, without questioning my objectives.

I am looking for a way to create banjo tablature with consistent slur placement on the same string as the indicated slide (hammer-on or pull-off) as shown in this excerpt from a Hal Leonard publication:
https://imgur.com/a/XBBfclb

However, finale default moves the slur up to a different string as seen in this image : https://imgur.com/a/h1MKQXJ

So far, the only way I know how to do this is to actually click and drag the slur in question so that it focuses on that string. This is time-consuming, and will most likely result in visual inconsistencies. Does anyone know of a way to work-around this or to streamline workflow for these?

In addition, does anybody know how to make the default slope of tab slide less steep? This is another element that I hope to avoid manually manipulating each tab slide.

Thank you so much.

zuill
Finale Version: Finale 2011-v26.3.1

Post by zuill » Sun Nov 08, 2020 4:20 am

Instead of a note attached slur, use a beat attached slur.

Zuill

P.S.: Now that I think about it, a tie would be much better. TAB staff default has ties unchecked, so maybe that is something that you don't want universally.

P.P.S: The slur can also be created as a Shape Articulation are as an Expression.
Last edited by zuill on Sun Nov 08, 2020 4:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Windows 10, Finale 2011-v26.3.1
"When all is said and done, more is said than done."

zuill

Post by zuill » Sun Nov 08, 2020 4:42 am

About the Tab Slides, those is adjusted in Smart Shape Placement in the Smart Shape menu.

Zuill

geleybou

Post by geleybou » Mon Nov 09, 2020 6:08 pm

Thanks Zuill, with your help I was able to get these tab slides to look much nicer. I think that the ties would work better if I could get them to not truncate when I add the other note. In this example you see when the other note is added the tie shrinks? Is there a workaround for that?

https://imgur.com/a/yCtwUOG The first beat is how it looks normally, and the following two are different strings with a shrunken tie.

Thanks.

zuill

Post by zuill » Mon Nov 09, 2020 8:52 pm

There are settings for the length of ties in Document Options. Before doing that, in Special Tools/Tie Tool, right click on one of the tie's handles, and in that window, try change settings to get what you want. Once you figure that out, then you can change the global setting to match what you want.

Zuill

geleybou

Post by geleybou » Tue Nov 10, 2020 6:18 pm

Beautiful! Thank you so much.

One last question if you please..

I have opted to use the smartshape tool for hammer-on, pull-off and slide, since there is a metatool there which will increase workflow. I know how to highlight multiple smartshapes and right click to horizontally align them. Is there a way to set one of them with a specific vertical offset from the top of the staff? If can do that after it is placed, then I can horizontally align each of them in any given system by setting the first one.