Softening string attacks?

General notation questions, including advanced notation, formatting, etc., go here.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

bj nick
Finale Version: v26, NP3
Operating System: Windows

Post by bj nick » Tue Nov 10, 2020 7:48 pm

Haven't done much string writing, (maybe that's the problem).....anyway, even with dynamics and expressive markings, the strings on playback attack notes a little harshly for my taste. Not sure what to do; thought I'd tried everything, but apparently not. I've marked string parts "leggiero," put tenuto lines over the notes, nothing seems to work (it's fine when slurred but obviously I can't make everything slurred....) There has to be a way to have the string parts playback delicate attacks....as it is, they often sound like they have heavy accents over them.

Also: don't expressive marks like leggiero copy over with edit filter? Doesn't seem to work for me...
Finale v. 26, Windows 10, NP3, Garritan Instruments for Finale

Michel R E
Finale Version: Finale 2012, 25, 26

Post by Michel R E » Tue Nov 10, 2020 9:18 pm

As such, that has nothing really to do with Finale, but more to do with whichever library you are using. There's a minimal amount that HumanPlayback can do for playback, but it can only do what the sound library permits it to.

Some libraries offer more control over string attacks, while some offer less.
The Garritan instruments are more limited. They are a relatively inexpensive library, but have the limitations of inexpensive libraries.
User of Finale since version 3.0 on Windows.
Now using a mix of Finale 2012, Finale 25, and 26.1
GPO, Garritan Solo Stradivari violin, Gofriller Solo Cello.
XSamples Chamber Ensemble.
Absolute convert to NotePerformer3.

bj nick
Finale Version: v26, NP3

Post by bj nick » Tue Nov 10, 2020 9:31 pm

Michael, what options do I have? Does this mean purchasing a more sophisticated library with more refined options?
Finale v. 26, Windows 10, NP3, Garritan Instruments for Finale

Jetcopy
Finale Version: Finale 2012, 25, 26
Operating System: Mac

Post by Jetcopy » Wed Nov 11, 2020 1:51 am

You need to remember that you're dealing with computer playback, not real players who can breathe life into a melody.

I see a few options.

1. Accept the playback as is, using the mp3 for proofing purposes or to make a rough demo recording.

2. Do you have NotePerformer? This is a step up from Garritan, but it works well with Finale. You can download the demo package and see if you're happier with this as your playback.

3. Purchase a higher end string library, and probably get a DAW. The midi editing capabilities of a DAW are more robust than FInale's and much simpler to use. I would think that editing the velocity of your string parts along with adjusting the stop and start points of the notes would be a good first step in softening the attacks.