Transpotion errors

General notation questions, including advanced notation, formatting, etc., go here.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

ZimMus60
Finale Version: Finale 25.5.0.290
Operating System: Windows

Post by ZimMus60 » Wed Nov 18, 2020 7:07 am

Hello. I am transcribing an orchestral score with both Clarinet in A and Horn in E. Through the forum answers I successfully set up the score (which starts in E Maj) with the proper transpositions displaying for both Clarinet in A (D Major) and Horn in E (G Maj).

All was well and good including the playback UNTIL there was a modulation in the score. The concert key went from E Major to F Major.

HOWEVER the Clarinet in A transposed to Ab Major (instead of Eb Maj) and the Horn in E staff transposed to Db Major! For some reason both instruments added one additional flat!

The rest of the score is in F Major as it should be.

How can I correct this????
Help asap!

Thanks in advance!

Peter Thomsen
Finale Version: Finale v27.4
Operating System: Mac

Post by Peter Thomsen » Wed Nov 18, 2020 7:29 am

ZimMus60,

1) Welcome to the forum!

2) Some parts of your description do not make sense.
We may need you to attach the actual Finale document, to find out what is going on.

ZimMus60 wrote:
Wed Nov 18, 2020 7:07 am
… I am transcribing an orchestral score with both Clarinet in A and Horn in E. Through the forum answers I successfully set up the score (which starts in E Maj) with the proper transpositions displaying for both Clarinet in A (D Major) and Horn in E (G Maj) …
This does not make sense.
If the Concert key is E Major, then Clarinet in A should display G Major (= 1 sharp), and Horn in E should display C Major (= 0 sharps).

ZimMus60 wrote:
Wed Nov 18, 2020 7:07 am
… All was well and good including the playback UNTIL there was a modulation in the score. The concert key went from E Major to F Major.

HOWEVER the Clarinet in A transposed to Ab Major (instead of Eb Maj) and the Horn in E staff transposed to Db Major! For some reason both instruments added one additional flat! …
This makes sense.
If the Concert key is F Major, then Clarinet in A should display Ab Major (= 4 flats), and Horn in E should display Db Major (= 5 flats).

But attach the Finale document here, and I am confident we can soon find out, what is going on.
Mac OS X 12.6.9 (Monterey), Finale user since 1996

ZimMus60
Finale Version: Finale 25.5.0.290
Operating System: Windows

Post by ZimMus60 » Thu Nov 19, 2020 2:40 am

I figured it out. My error... You can delete this post.