HELP instruments playing back an octave too high

General notation questions, including advanced notation, formatting, etc., go here.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

jmus
Finale Version: V26
Operating System: Windows

Post by jmus » Fri Dec 18, 2020 11:03 am

Suddenly started doing this after clicked the 'display in concert pitch' to show transposing instruments not in concert (if that makes sense).
All transpositions correct - am not using keyless score just have it set to Am, tried putting in keyless and makes no difference.so don't know if its a known bug.

Pain as just finished editing and want to listen through to catch anything that may not be right, which is impossible with stuff playing octave too high - its not just the transposing instruments that are playing too high, also bassoons, tbn and a few others. All looks correct and, as I say, was fine before.

Bill Stevens
Finale Version: Using 26, testing 27
Operating System: Mac

Post by Bill Stevens » Fri Dec 18, 2020 1:14 pm

Did it play back correctly and then suddenly shift, or has it always been an octave too high?
Version 26.3 / 27.4 / Mac OS 10.15.5 Catalina
Finale user since the beginning of time.

jmus

Post by jmus » Fri Dec 18, 2020 4:27 pm

Bill Stevens wrote:
Fri Dec 18, 2020 1:14 pm
Did it play back correctly and then suddenly shift, or has it always been an octave too high?
Played back correctly then suddenly shifted while I was editing parts

zuill
Finale Version: Finale 2011-v26.3.1

Post by zuill » Fri Dec 18, 2020 4:31 pm

The usual restarting Finale and rebooting system don't reset things? Are the sounds GM, Softsynth, Garritan?

Zuill
Windows 10, Finale 2011-v26.3.1
"When all is said and done, more is said than done."

ebiggs1
Finale Version: Finale 27.3

Post by ebiggs1 » Fri Dec 18, 2020 4:43 pm

I have noticed and seen random notes going an octave or even higher but never the entire part or score. I have also seen a random drum hit especially when I use ctrl+spacebar to sample part sound. I have no idea why this happens or how to stop it. Sorry.

BTW, very randomly Speedy Entry will enter a note one or even two octaves higher. Clicking out of it and going right back in fixes that.
Finale 27.4.1 - Perfect Layout Silver - Note Performer 4.4 - SmartScore Pro 64 - Windows 11
President, The Shawnee Concert Band, Composer/Arranger, retired Music Teacher.

jmus

Post by jmus » Fri Dec 18, 2020 8:41 pm

zuill wrote:
Fri Dec 18, 2020 4:31 pm
The usual restarting Finale and rebooting system don't reset things? Are the sounds GM, Softsynth, Garritan?

Zuill
Tried reboot etc, no change

Sounds mix of Garritan and VSL, Kontact Never come across tis before. The strings seem OK

jmus

Post by jmus » Fri Dec 18, 2020 8:43 pm

ebiggs1 wrote:
Fri Dec 18, 2020 4:43 pm
I have noticed and seen random notes going an octave or even higher but never the entire part or score. I have also seen a random drum hit especially when I use ctrl+spacebar to sample part sound. I have no idea why this happens or how to stop it. Sorry.

BTW, very randomly Speedy Entry will enter a note one or even two octaves higher. Clicking out of it and going right back in fixes that.
All notes had been entered, was happily editing parts i.e. page layouts etc and went back to check something on the score when I noticed this happening.

zuill

Post by zuill » Fri Dec 18, 2020 9:20 pm

Possibly some stray MIDI data got applied to those staves. You can look in the MIDI Tool and see if there might be some Pitch Wheel data, or something similar that got entered by mistake.

Save the file with a different name, delete everything, then try reentering notes and see if they play back okay. If so, then my hunch may be correct.

Zuill

jmus

Post by jmus » Fri Dec 18, 2020 9:46 pm

zuill wrote:
Fri Dec 18, 2020 9:20 pm
Possibly some stray MIDI data got applied to those staves. You can look in the MIDI Tool and see if there might be some Pitch Wheel data, or something similar that got entered by mistake.

Save the file with a different name, delete everything, then try reentering notes and see if they play back okay. If so, then my hunch may be correct.

Zuill
Will try that Zuill thanks. Noticed that its only the Garritan instruments behaving in this way. Reloaded them and still wrong. Will try your suggestion as that sounds a possible culprit

jmus

Post by jmus » Fri Dec 18, 2020 9:55 pm

jmus wrote:
Fri Dec 18, 2020 9:46 pm
zuill wrote:
Fri Dec 18, 2020 9:20 pm

Zuill
Will try that Zuill thanks. Noticed that its only the Garritan instruments behaving in this way. Reloaded them and still wrong. Will try your suggestion as that sounds a possible culprit
Yes, you are right. Saved with different name, cleared everything, entered notes and it plays back fine.
Went back to original file (saved with different name) used filter and cleared midi data...same problem

zuill

Post by zuill » Sat Dec 19, 2020 4:25 am

Okay. Are the instruments playing an octave higher throughout the piece?

Zuill

P.S.: If we could examine the file, that would expedite things.

jmus

Post by jmus » Sat Dec 19, 2020 7:14 am

zuill wrote:
Sat Dec 19, 2020 4:25 am
Okay. Are the instruments playing an octave higher throughout the piece?

Zuill

P.S.: If we could examine the file, that would expedite things.
Yes, throughout the piece. Will attach file

jmus

Post by jmus » Sat Dec 19, 2020 7:30 am

Hi Zuill

File link here. The orchestra entry is pg 6
https://www.dropbox.com/s/7zvga5d3jaljm ... .musx?dl=0

Interesting as it defaulted all the instruments to Garritan when I played it back on normal PC as opposed to DAW pc (as I don't have all the VSL synths that are on DAW) and they are all octave too high now. Also score not recognizing arco after pizz but not a problem as I work on the score on DAW...just giving you the heads up when you look at the file.

zuill

Post by zuill » Sat Dec 19, 2020 3:04 pm

In Bar 62 you had an Expression used for the Bass Cue playback set for playback an Octave higher (12 steps). However, you failed to cancel that Octave higher with a matching Expression to return transposition to 0 (zero). So, from then on, all instruments on those staves are still playing an octave higher.

Zuill

jmus

Post by jmus » Sat Dec 19, 2020 3:43 pm

zuill wrote:
Sat Dec 19, 2020 3:04 pm
In Bar 62 you had an Expression used for the Bass Cue playback set for playback an Octave higher (12 steps). However, you failed to cancel that Octave higher with a matching Expression to return transposition to 0 (zero). So, from then on, all instruments on those staves are still playing an octave higher.

Zuill
Zuill, you are brilliant, THANK YOU! Makes sense now. Will cancel the expression out (or just make it visual only). What a relief.
Just shows that we get too close sometimes and just cannot 'see'

voulalas
Finale Version: 26.3
Operating System: Mac

Post by voulalas » Sun May 01, 2022 4:10 pm

I am using Finale v 26.3, and recently had this problem. One of my voices is a soprano, and when I tried to insert a glissando, suddenly playback of the soprano only was an octave higher. I accidentally fixed it by going to the MIDI/Audio tab, and switching from "Play Finale Through Audio Units" to "Play Finale Through MIDI." It reset the playback so that the voice was in the right octave. I then switched back to playing through audio units, all is still okay!