Sebastian v1 font

General notation questions, including advanced notation, formatting, etc., go here.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

BuonTempi
Finale Version: Finale 27
Operating System: Mac

Post by BuonTempi » Thu Feb 04, 2021 9:37 pm

Some people here may be familiar the the Sebastian music font, which was created by Florian Kretlow some years ago, as an 'unfinished project', with a handful of fonts at ''version 0.1".

As my idea of fun, I decided to produce a SMuFL-compliant version, and go through all the symbols, adjusting them for size, weight, position, consistency, and so on. This has been with Florian's help and cooperation.

The new font is hopefully finished, with over 1000 glyphs. Like November2, I've included symbols in the 'Finale' default positions as well as the SMuFL range.

The font is here:

https://github.com/fkretlow/sebastian/r ... _SMuFL.zip

I'm including the FAN file in this post.

PS: if you already have the original Sebastian font installed, you'll need to disable or remove it to avoid conflicts.

It works well in Finale for my stuff. If there are any major problems or curiosities, then do let me know. Don't forget that for a Unicode font, DON'T list it in the MacSymbolFonts.txt file, if you want to access all the glyphs. There's still the Finale bug with a range of characters not being available in the selection panel though...
Attachments
Sebastian.fan.zip
(6.96 KiB) Downloaded 98 times

miker
Finale Version: Finale 27.4

Post by miker » Thu Feb 04, 2021 10:46 pm

thanks, BT!
Finale 27 | SmartScorePro 64
Mac OS 13.2.1 Ventura
Copyist for Barbershop Harmony Society

Hector Pascal
Finale Version: Finale 26

Post by Hector Pascal » Thu Feb 04, 2021 11:04 pm

Thanks, Buontempi and Florian.

I had a look at this page to see the font in action and to compare it to other fonts. To my eye, there is a lot to admire in the Sebastian font :)

https://elbsound.studio/music-font-comp ... =Sebastian

Cheerio,
Hector Pascal.

BuonTempi

Post by BuonTempi » Fri Feb 05, 2021 8:46 am

The version on Elbsound's site will be the 'old' version, and there are several adjustments (hopefully improvements) since then.

BuonTempi

Post by BuonTempi » Mon Jun 27, 2022 11:01 am

I've been testing this font on Finale 27.2, and made a few little tweaks to improve the default position of some items, such as note flags.

https://github.com/fkretlow/sebastian/releases

Obviously, many of these could have been adjusted in Document Options, but it's better to get things behaving well with the defaults.

There have been various other little improvements to some glyphs: we're now on v1.07...!