composite time signature/multimeasure rests

General notation questions, including advanced notation, formatting, etc., go here.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

bubsblues
Finale Version: 2014d.v5545
Operating System: Mac

Post by bubsblues » Fri Feb 05, 2021 12:45 pm

Hello,

I'm running into problems with a composite time signature and linked parts with multimeasure rests.

I have a piece for septet in a constant 10/4 meter, which is divided 4+4+2/4. The dashed barlines withing the 10/4 measure are essentiel for the musicians reading and understanding the music, but the idea of inserting dashed barlines as shape expressions 1000+ times is just too depressing to consider. So ... each 10/4 measure is currently three measures: 4/4, 4/4, and 2/4 with dashed barlines for the 4/4 measures. Second and third measures in the group and not included in the measure count.

The score looks great, but the linked parts are a big problem. Multimeasure rests don't work, don't regroup the 3-measure units into a single measure. I've tried independent time signatures for certain parts, hiding rests, changing barlines and measure widths, and the part comes out exactly as a want it, but the score is corrupted. It seems to me there ought to be a logical and simple solution I'm just not seeing, but I haven't found it.

Perhaps the only thing would be to extract parts as separate documents and make corrections that don't link back to the original score.

Your thoughts?

Thanks,
Joe

Bill Stevens
Finale Version: Using 26, testing 27

Post by Bill Stevens » Fri Feb 05, 2021 2:12 pm

One solution that comes to mind (and it's probably not what you want to hear) is to have separate files for score and parts, with the score done the way you have it and the parts in 10/4. Needless to say, you wouldn't want to do this until you are 100% sure the piece is finished. Hopefully someone else can come up with a slicker solution.

::: Bill
Version 26.3 / 27.4 / Mac OS 10.15.5 Catalina
Finale user since the beginning of time.

Peter Thomsen
Finale Version: Finale v27.4

Post by Peter Thomsen » Fri Feb 05, 2021 4:07 pm

Two ideas:

1) Change the time signature to 10/8 (change all durations by 50 %).
Use a “display time signature” of 10/8, and make the “real time signature”

4+4+2 (five characters in one field)
over

(This change is not very time consuming if you know, what to do)

In this way you do not need the dashed barlines, since the beaming will give the same info.

2) Keep the score as it is, in 10/4.
In the linked parts the problem is that the multimeasure rest number is three times as big as it should be.
Let the multimeasure rests, not display the number of measures.
(This change is not very time consuming if you know, what to do)

Use the Expression Tool to add the number of measures on each multimeasure rest.
This may take some time, but not as much time as “inserting dashed barlines as shape expressions 1000+ times”.
Mac OS X 12.6.9 (Monterey), Finale user since 1996