When playing MIDI keyboard, notes dont appear on screen, but are audible

General notation questions, including advanced notation, formatting, etc., go here.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

myanowitz
Operating System: Windows

Post by myanowitz » Sun Feb 14, 2021 1:40 am

Although Finale recognized my keyboard, and even plays sounds when I select the Korg Kronos it's connected via MIDI, notes dont appear on the screen when I play them.

Initially, the notes appeared on the screen, and the sounds were audible. Then, afterwards, only the ladder works.
And, I'm trying both speedy entry icon as well as the easy entry icon to the right of it.
If it matters, when playing the notes on my keyboard, the notation featured only worked when I selected the easy entry icon, as opposed to the speedy entry tool.
Also, there is a considerable delay between when I press a note on my piano and when the sound is audible on my keyboard.

Best,
Marshal

zuill
Finale Version: Finale 2011-v26.3.1

Post by zuill » Sun Feb 14, 2021 1:44 am

You have to individually select the option for MIDI Keyboard Entry for each of the 2 tools. As far as delay, sometimes clicking Reload MIDI Driver in the MIDI/Audio fixes that. Also, just starting Playback with the arrow can jump start proper syncing.

Zuill
Windows 10, Finale 2011-v26.3.1
"When all is said and done, more is said than done."

motet
Finale Version: 2014.5,2011,2005,27

Post by motet » Sun Feb 14, 2021 6:00 am

Make sure "Use MIDI Device for Input" is selected on the Speedy menu.

I've had luck decreasing latency by making the audio output by making MIDI/Audio->Device setup->Audio setup->Output buffer size smaller. I've also found that latency is less with Audio Driver = ASIO rather than DirectSound, but every system is different.

HaraldS
Finale Version: 25.5

Post by HaraldS » Sun Feb 14, 2021 8:56 pm

myanowitz wrote:
Sun Feb 14, 2021 1:40 am
And, I'm trying both speedy entry icon as well as the easy entry icon to the right of it.
Are you sure you clicked on a measure to set the Speedy Entry input box into that measure? Selecting only the icon is not enough - just a shot in the dark.
Finale 3.0-25.5, German edition, Windows 7
trombonist, pianist, conductor / Recklinghausen, Germany