Syncing Finale with Proppelerhead Reason

General notation questions, including advanced notation, formatting, etc., go here.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

themusicman926
Finale Version: 26
Operating System: Windows

Post by themusicman926 » Wed Feb 17, 2021 4:07 pm

I'm not sure how many people here have experience with this, but I have been trying to find out for a while now with no luck on how to pull this off.

I do quite a bit of small film scoring projects and my original process was with the use of the Reason 11 DAW and the VidPlayVST plugin. This plugin allows me to open a video file through the Reason software so that I can record and sync music to picture. My understanding is that there used to be a feature pre-built into Finale that allowed you to open video files and write a score and keep it in sync with the video. I have seen various places that it is possible to connect a music notation software like Finale to a DAW like Reason and keep them in sync for something like film scoring, but I cannot find a specific tutorial for Reason. If anyone has experience with this, please help! It would be much easier to write music to film while being able to time up the writing with each frame, as opposed to having to guess how it will actually line up.

michelp
Finale Version: 27.4.1,26.3.1, Mont.
Operating System: Mac

Post by michelp » Wed Feb 17, 2021 11:50 pm

The video window doesn't exist anymore within Finale. MakeMusic preferred to recommend the use of the Rewire protocol, which is used in several sequencers which have a video window and can sync with Finale. Look for Rewire in the manual.
Michel
MacOsX 12.7.4, Finale 27.4.1 & 26.3.1, Mac Mini Intel Dual Core i7 3Ghz, 16 Go Ram. Azerty kb. MOTU Midi Express XT USB, Roland Sound Canvas SC-88vl, MOTU Audio Express. 2 monitors (27"' pivot, 24'"), JW Lua, RGP Lua

VidPlayVST
Finale Version: 26
Operating System: Mac

Post by VidPlayVST » Mon Jun 07, 2021 11:35 am

I have recently made a free customized version of VidPlayVST for use with Finale. Downloads, and a quick tutorial on how to use it, are available at this YouTube link: https://youtu.be/2N3f3xplh1A