Speedy Entry with dotted notes

General notation questions, including advanced notation, formatting, etc., go here.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

montedoro44
Finale Version: 27
Operating System: Windows

Post by montedoro44 » Fri Feb 26, 2021 9:14 pm

It looks like Speedy can't be caps-locked into any dotted-note values -- if that's not true, please let me know.

I want to speedify chord accompaniment entry for music in 6:8, like jigs and rondos. The chords bump along Quarter-Eighth-Quarter-Eighth- ad infinitum, requiring one hand to oscillate on 4 and 5, while the other plays the chords on a midi keyboard. It's frustrating. I hoped to enter all the chords as dotted quarters, then fix them later.

But I just discovered that I can change the key sig to 4:4, enter the stream of chords as all quarters, then change key sig back to 6:8, go to JW-RHYTHM plug-in to copy & paste the correct rhythm to groups of m's, or, now I think best, just whiz through the piece Alt-4-ing every other note. But if anyone has something better, I'd be grateful to know.

Locking in dotted-quarters or dotted-others would also be useful. I can't think of anything better than the above, as rattling through dot-right-dot-right at least is very fast and hard to screw up.

motet
Finale Version: 2014.5,2011,2005,27

Post by motet » Fri Feb 26, 2021 10:09 pm

This might be a good use of the repitch tool. Enter one measure, copy it however many times you need, then use the repitch tool.

Peter Thomsen
Finale Version: Finale v27.4
Operating System: Mac

Post by Peter Thomsen » Sat Feb 27, 2021 7:35 am

montedoro44 wrote:
Fri Feb 26, 2021 9:14 pm
It looks like Speedy can't be caps-locked into any dotted-note values -- if that's not true, please let me know …
This is not what you are asking for, but …

You can lock the Simple Entry Tool into any dotted note value.

Example:
To enter dotted quarters, first hit the number 5 key (= quarters).
Then, hit Shift-Period.
Mac OS X 12.6.9 (Monterey), Finale user since 1996

montedoro44

Post by montedoro44 » Sat Feb 27, 2021 4:27 pm

Well I'll be darned -- that's a good one, thanks! For my immediate purpose -- quarternote-8thnote sequences for 6:8 oompah rhythm -- Simple is as good as Speedy, maybe better. Now, if there were a rhythm-copy item in the Edit Filter, that would be super efficient.

miker
Finale Version: Finale 27.4
Operating System: Mac

Post by miker » Sat Feb 27, 2021 7:19 pm

There is a Rhythm Copy in JW Plugins. Another option would be to copy the measure as many times as needed, and use the repitch tool.
Finale 27 | SmartScorePro 64
Mac OS 13.2.1 Ventura
Copyist for Barbershop Harmony Society

montedoro44

Post by montedoro44 » Sat Feb 27, 2021 8:20 pm

miker, thanks for returning to the Repitch tool -- in my flurry of experimentation, I forgot to try it -- also, I never used it before, didn't know what good it is. So this now looks like the most efficient way:

> make a measure of correct rhythm, any note (but not rests, I discover)
> copy the measure to end of tune (fast & easy to do)
> select Repitch
> start over with the midi keyboard playing the correct notes & chords
> done

This does seem unbeatable.

The problem with JW Rhythm Set/Copy is that it copies only to the exact same number of m's as you set. If I could set 1 m, then select a region to copy into, that would be ideal. There's a lot of button pressing to set 1-copy 1, select the two - copy the two, then 4, 8, ...

Thousand thanks!