No Piano Option in Change Instrument Utility

General notation questions, including advanced notation, formatting, etc., go here.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

juliepiano
Finale Version: 25
Operating System: Windows

Post by juliepiano » Sun Feb 28, 2021 10:47 pm

I'm writing a workbook with several music excerpts that each have different instrumentation. The Score Manager is set up with piano for all staves. I'm able to change instruments as needed using the Change Instrument utility, but piano is not an option in the instrument window. I'm trying to change two grouped staves to piano. These two staves were ungrouped and only the section I want to change is grouped. The Change Instruments dialogue box shows "Keyboards," but under the keyboards submenu there are no typical keyboard instruments like piano, organ, or harpsichord. I've attached screen shots of the file, and a screen shot of the open Change Instrument dialogue box. Thank you.
Attachments
Change of Instrument 1.JPG
Change of Instrument 2.JPG
Julie Johnson
Owner, J. Johnson Music Publications
Author of Basics of Keyboard Theory, Ear Training Basics, and Guide to AP Music Theory

juliepiano

Post by juliepiano » Sun Feb 28, 2021 11:01 pm

I forgot to mention my Finale version - I'm using version 26.3.1.520 for Windows.
Julie Johnson
Author of Basics of Keyboard Theory, Ear Training Basics, and Guide to AP Music Theory

michelp
Finale Version: 27.4.1,26.3.1, Mont.
Operating System: Mac

Post by michelp » Sun Feb 28, 2021 11:45 pm

Clearly, in this set-up, Finale only proposes one staff instruments.
A solution : add a piano double staff from the beginning, and hide it (completely) when you don't need it. When the piano is used, hide the other 2 staves.
Michel
MacOsX 12.7.4, Finale 27.4.1 & 26.3.1, Mac Mini Intel Dual Core i7 3Ghz, 16 Go Ram. Azerty kb. MOTU Midi Express XT USB, Roland Sound Canvas SC-88vl, MOTU Audio Express. 2 monitors (27"' pivot, 24'"), JW Lua, RGP Lua

juliepiano

Post by juliepiano » Mon Mar 01, 2021 5:44 pm

Thank you. Adding the piano part in the score manager fixed one part of the problem. I started this file as a default document, not using the score manager. I added and grouped staves as needed. I'm still unable to change the oboe and violin parts from this part of the file forward. I removed the oboe listing from staff 1 in the score manager and that changed it back to piano. I used a text block attached to the score to identify the instruments. Since I'm not recording from this file, it won't matter if the sounds are incorrect. This is a new edition of an existing workbook, so I'm doing a lot of cutting and pasting from another file. Changing instruments on existing staff lines was working fine until this point in the score. I'm not sure what I did wrong, and I'm sure there's a better solution, but this will do for now.

Thanks again for your help.
Julie Johnson