Measure Counter

General notation questions, including advanced notation, formatting, etc., go here.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

tanniyn
Finale Version: Finale 26.3.1
Operating System: Windows

Post by tanniyn » Sun Mar 14, 2021 10:58 am

Is there a reason why Finale won't let me type a measure number above 99 in the measure counter? I have a long song with several hundred measures and it's extremely frustrating that I have to start playback at measure 99 and then fast-forward over and over just to get to a certain section of the song. I can use Ctrl+Shift+G to jump to a measure but that's visual only; playback will start back at 1 (or whatever the measure counter is). Is there a way I can click on a measure to set the measure counter there (like in Cubase or most other DAWs)? Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

HaraldS
Finale Version: 25.5

Post by HaraldS » Sun Mar 14, 2021 11:29 am

tanniyn wrote:
Sun Mar 14, 2021 10:58 am
Is there a reason why Finale won't let me type a measure number above 99 in the measure counter?
Which measure counter do you mean? The playback control's? There are several places in Finale where measure numbers can be entered.
tanniyn wrote:
I have a long song with several hundred measures and it's extremely frustrating that I have to start playback at measure 99 and then fast-forward over and over just to get to a certain section of the song. I can use Ctrl+Shift+G to jump to a measure but that's visual only; playback will start back at 1 (or whatever the measure counter is).
Look at the Playback Settings dialog box: you can either set a playback region (and my Finale accepts start measures well above 100), start at the leftmost measure, or at the playback control's measure counter. Additionally, you can start playback with Space-click at any location where you click.
Finale 3.0-25.5, German edition, Windows 7
trombonist, pianist, conductor / Recklinghausen, Germany

tanniyn
Finale Version: Finale 26.3.1

Post by tanniyn » Sun Mar 14, 2021 11:40 am

HaraldS wrote:
Sun Mar 14, 2021 11:29 am
tanniyn wrote:
Is there a reason why Finale won't let me type a measure number above 99 in the measure counter?
Which measure counter do you mean? The playback control's? There are several places in Finale where measure numbers can be entered.
The playback controls, yes.
HaraldS wrote:
Sun Mar 14, 2021 11:29 am
tanniyn wrote:
I have a long song with several hundred measures and it's extremely frustrating that I have to start playback at measure 99 and then fast-forward over and over just to get to a certain section of the song. I can use Ctrl+Shift+G to jump to a measure but that's visual only; playback will start back at 1 (or whatever the measure counter is).
Look at the Playback Settings dialog box: you can either set a playback region (and my Finale accepts start measures well above 100), start at the leftmost measure, or at the playback control's measure counter. Additionally, you can start playback with Space-click at any location where you click.
Interesting. It gives me the standard Windows error ding when I try and type a third digit into the playback controls' measure counter, so I'm wondering if it's a bug? Like if it's set to " 1| 1|0000" and I try changing it to "100| 1|0000" it will error-ding when I try and type the third "0". For comparison, if I bring up the Playback Settings dialog box it works fine for larger numbers, but having to open that dialog every single time would be a colossal headache.

I was not aware of the Space+click functionality to play from the cursor's position, and while that's not really a fix for the measure counter issue, it will work for my purposes. Thanks for the assistance!

motet
Finale Version: 2014.5,2011,2005,27

Post by motet » Sun Mar 14, 2021 5:00 pm

Replace the whole contents of that control, vertical bars and all, with the measure number you want.
Attachments
0805.png
0805.png (7.14 KiB) Viewed 1385 times