Changing chord font non-globally

General notation questions, including advanced notation, formatting, etc., go here.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

oofers
Finale Version: 26
Operating System: Windows

Post by oofers » Mon Mar 29, 2021 4:11 am

Hello forum. Long-time user here, and I have often gotten help here by discovering someone else asking my question. This time, I couldn't find anything about this, so I am asking myself.

I want to be able to italicize some chord symbols (root & suffix) in a chart, and leave the others as they normally appear.

I am aware of Document Options->Fonts->Chord, but that of course changes the font globally.

The only workaround I have come up with is to select the region I want the italicized chords to appear, and do Utilities->Change->Chords.

This brings up the Change Chords Assignments Box, and I add a non-zero value to "Capo". The program's default functionality is to italicize capo-ed chords, but I then have to change the root itself in order to transpose back and display what I want. For example, if I want a "G7#9" to be italicized, I can say it's capo-ed at the 2nd fret and that changes it to "F7#9" in the italicized font I want, but so then I must change the chord to "A7#9" to get it to display "G7#9" in italics. [side note: I was hoping that saying it was capo-ed at the 12 fret would eliminate this last step, but if you do that, Finale just ignores it and puts zero back in]

We all know how Finale is-- there almost always is a way to do what you want, but finding it can be a challenge. The above steps work, but are cumbersome and inelegant. Besides, what if a user wanted something besides just italics? Maybe we want some chords in bold, and others not? Or maybe for some crazy reason we want some in Arial and some in New York Times? Surely there's a way to change chord fonts non-globally?

Thanks in advance. I hope it's something simple I am just missing!

michelp
Finale Version: 27.4.1,26.3.1, Mont.
Operating System: Mac

Post by michelp » Mon Mar 29, 2021 11:02 am

You can create your own suffixes (or modify existing ones), and apply italics to the elements you want. But all the roots will remain in the same font style.
Michel
MacOsX 12.7.4, Finale 27.4.1 & 26.3.1, Mac Mini Intel Dual Core i7 3Ghz, 16 Go Ram. Azerty kb. MOTU Midi Express XT USB, Roland Sound Canvas SC-88vl, MOTU Audio Express. 2 monitors (27"' pivot, 24'"), JW Lua, RGP Lua

zuill
Finale Version: Finale 2011-v26.3.1

Post by zuill » Mon Mar 29, 2021 2:56 pm

I also don't know of an easy way to do it. For an Italic look, the capo workaround is fine. If playback is needed, that doesn't work. For my money, there are 2 workarounds:

1. Playback needed: Hide the chord symbol and replace it with an expression to look as you want.
2. If playback is not needed, then don't enter a chord symbol, and use an expression to look as you want.

Zuill
Windows 10, Finale 2011-v26.3.1
"When all is said and done, more is said than done."

oofers

Post by oofers » Mon Mar 29, 2021 11:06 pm

Thanks zuill for confirming that I am not missing something.

If you (of all people) don't know how to do something, then it probably doesn't exist. I was considering the expression route as well until I found the capo approach. What a pain that would have been -- every different chord would have to be it's own expression.

I am surprised by this one area of inflexibility.

Thanks again.

zuill
Finale Version: Finale 2011-v26.3.1

Post by zuill » Mon Mar 29, 2021 11:31 pm

Maybe Peter Thomsen has an answer. Here's the real expert around here.

In exploring this, I discovered something very cryptic. In the Chord Definition box, in the Chord Symbol slot, I right clicked to see if there were any options. I saw some items there that I have no idea about. Maybe someone here can answer that one. I thought maybe it was for the programmers, and they forgot to get rid of them when they were done.

Zuill
Windows 10, Finale 2011-v26.3.1
"When all is said and done, more is said than done."

Peter Thomsen
Finale Version: Finale v27.4
Operating System: Mac

Post by Peter Thomsen » Tue Mar 30, 2021 4:51 am

zuill wrote:
Mon Mar 29, 2021 11:31 pm
Maybe Peter Thomsen has an answer …
Sorry, I have no other ideas than what has already been suggested.

zuill wrote:
… In exploring this, I discovered something very cryptic. In the Chord Definition box, in the Chord Symbol slot, I right clicked to see if there were any options. I saw some items there that I have no idea about. Maybe someone here can answer that one. I thought maybe it was for the programmers, and they forgot to get rid of them when they were done …
This may be a Windows - Mac difference.

In my own copy of Mac Finale a context-click on any text field (in any dialog box) gives a Mac OS context menu (= not a Finale menu).
This happens in all programs (not just in Finale).
Mac OS X 12.6.9 (Monterey), Finale user since 1996

oofers

Post by oofers » Tue Mar 30, 2021 12:44 pm

zuill wrote:
In exploring this, I discovered something very cryptic. In the Chord Definition box, in the Chord Symbol slot, I right clicked to see if there were any options. I saw some items there that I have no idea about. Maybe someone here can answer that one. I thought maybe it was for the programmers, and they forgot to get rid of them when they were done.

Zuill
Wow, that is odd. At least the "unicode control characters" items seem to actually have options (functionality?) associated with them. The real head-scratcher is "Open IME". It appears to do nothing, yet after selecting it, it's spot in the context-menu becomes "Close IME".

One great thing about Finale's online help menu is that, if you search any menu-item term, you'll find what you're looking for. "Open IME" returns nothing. Very strange.

I keep an old version of Finale (2014) installed because I import TIFFs all the time. I can confirm that this behavior exists in that version too.

HaraldS
Finale Version: 25.5

Post by HaraldS » Tue Mar 30, 2021 4:11 pm

oofers wrote:
Tue Mar 30, 2021 12:44 pm
The real head-scratcher is "Open IME". It appears to do nothing, yet after selecting it, it's spot in the context-menu becomes "Close IME".
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Input_method. An IME is used mainly for writing non-western languages on a computer keyboard.
oofers wrote:
Tue Mar 30, 2021 12:44 pm
One great thing about Finale's online help menu is that, if you search any menu-item term, you'll find what you're looking for. "Open IME" returns nothing. Very strange.
It's a Windows thing, not a Finale thing. If you were writing Chinese, you probably would notice a difference.
Finale 3.0-25.5, German edition, Windows 7
trombonist, pianist, conductor / Recklinghausen, Germany

oofers

Post by oofers » Tue Mar 30, 2021 10:49 pm

HaraldS wrote:
Tue Mar 30, 2021 4:11 pm
An IME is used mainly for writing non-western languages on a computer keyboard.
Ah, makes sense. Thanks for clearing that up.