Staff Spacing Problem in 26?

General notation questions, including advanced notation, formatting, etc., go here.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

BergerTunes
Finale Version: 26
Operating System: Windows

Post by BergerTunes » Fri Apr 02, 2021 1:21 am

Hi all,
I just recently updated to 26 from 2014 a little while ago. I'm encountering a problem that didn't exist in 2014.
When I'm making a new chart, if I try to go past 7 staff lines, I start getting huge spacing between the staves that I can't correct no matter what staff spacing tools I've tried. And I can't find this particular issue online anywhere.
I've attached a pic of what I'm talking about. Any help would be really appreciated - this is making my experience with 26 really miserable.
Capture.JPG

Jetcopy
Finale Version: Finale 2012, 25, 26
Operating System: Mac

Post by Jetcopy » Fri Apr 02, 2021 2:42 am

It looks like systems 7 & 8 have different staff system margins.

While in the page layout tool, you can click on system 6. Then from the page layout pulldown menu, choose "systems>Edit Margins". Where it says "change system 6 thru 6", change it to "system 6 thru 8". Then click apply.

The last 2 systems should jump back into place to match the others. There are different ways to fix this, this is just the first that I thought of.

Peter Thomsen
Finale Version: Finale v27.4
Operating System: Mac

Post by Peter Thomsen » Fri Apr 02, 2021 5:15 am

Also, take a good look at the document’s Page Format settings (which Finale uses when creating new systems/pages; already existing systems/pages are not affected):
Document menu > Page Format > …

My guess is that the Page Format settings show the same (undesired) values as System 8, rather than the (desired) values in System 7 and previously.

If you change the Page Format settings to the desired values, all new systems/new pages (in this document) will be formatted as desired.
Already existing systems/pages are not affected.
This is by design, and what users have requested.

To update already existing pages, you can use the Page Layout Tool:
Page Layout menu > Redefine Pages > …

By The Way:
Finale can monitor your score layout edits, and (automatically) update the Page Format settings as you change system margin values:
Page Layout menu > Update Page Format for Score

NB:
The option {Update Page Format for Score} is a program setting, not a document setting.
To avoid un-intended changes in another document you should probably toggle {Update Page Format for Score} off again before you begin working on another document.
Mac OS X 12.6.9 (Monterey), Finale user since 1996

ebiggs1
Finale Version: Finale 27.3

Post by ebiggs1 » Fri Apr 02, 2021 2:04 pm

I'm encountering a problem that didn't exist in 2014.
I am unaware of any changes in this area from 2014 to 26.3. Perhaps there is something but it don't come to mind since it has been a while since I used 2014 or 2014.5.
Finale 27.4.1 - Perfect Layout Silver - Note Performer 4.4 - SmartScore Pro 64 - Windows 11
President, The Shawnee Concert Band, Composer/Arranger, retired Music Teacher.

BergerTunes
Finale Version: 26

Post by BergerTunes » Fri Apr 02, 2021 9:53 pm

I think I've got it fixed. Thanks for all the suggestions!

Jetcopy, yours was the quickest and easiest; I had a hard time understanding Peter's suggestion (long day at work and my brain power is down to minimum functions at this point) so I tried yours first, and it worked.

Peter, after it was fixed I went back and looked at your suggestions and understood the first paragraph better - do you have to make the adjustments in BOTH Parts & Score individually?
I'm going to have to spend more time with the latter suggestions you had when I'm less tired. :D

THANKS AGAIN!