Upgrading From Finale 2011

General notation questions, including advanced notation, formatting, etc., go here.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

Bass-ically
Finale Version: 2011
Operating System: Windows

Post by Bass-ically » Wed Apr 07, 2021 3:05 am

Hello,

First timer here. I've been using Finale since the mid-90's and used to purchase an upgrade to the software about every other year or so up to 2011. I literally utilized Finale every day for approximately 20 years. I somewhat left the music field and teaching back in 2015. I have been getting back into things recently and I'm just getting ready to purchase a new computer with Windows 10 on it. Here's my question which I'm hoping you can point me in the right direction. The last version of Finale I purchased and still use is 2011 on my Windows 7 machine. It looks as though when I purchase a new Windows 10 machine that I will not be able to run 2011 on it. So I'm needing to know if it is simply a matter of upgrading to the latest version of Finale and I'll be set? My biggest concern is will I be able to open my old 2011 files in the latest version of Finale? Will I still be able to use my old 2011 version on my old Windows 7 machine as well as the new upgraded version on the Windows 10 machine? Obviously, Finale 2011 is about a decade old and I'm a bit concerned that making the jump from 2011 to the latest version will be too big of a leap without experiencing some problems. In a perfect world, I'd be able to simply open my old 2011 files in the latest version and everything would run smoothly. Any insight someone could provide about performing this upgrade would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

CJ Engel

motet
Finale Version: 2014.5,2011,2005,27

Post by motet » Wed Apr 07, 2021 3:13 am

2011 still runs on Windows 10, believe it or not. I've got it installed and use it occasionally for old files. The latest Finale should open old files just fine. There may be some anomalies, which is why I still use 2011, but I have huge pieces and can't afford the time to check them through. There have been many improvements, though, especially to playback, so by all means upgrade if you can. You have have 2011 and the newest version both installed.

ebiggs1
Finale Version: Finale 27.3

Post by ebiggs1 » Wed Apr 07, 2021 2:06 pm

I have Finale files way before 2011 and they open in Finale 26.3 just fine. I no longer keep other older versions of Finale installed because I have never seen an issue with the older stuff. Perhaps if you have extremely large files there might be but on normal concert band, etc., length files I have seen no issues.

Windows 10 updates itself regularly (seems like every day!) so I always have the latest update. You know 2011 is a no longer supported version by Make Music. So no tech help or updates to it.

BTW, IMHO everything is better in Finale 26.3 vs any older version. I see no downside in what I do.
Finale 27.4.1 - Perfect Layout Silver - Note Performer 4.4 - SmartScore Pro 64 - Windows 11
President, The Shawnee Concert Band, Composer/Arranger, retired Music Teacher.

RimasG
Finale Version: Finale 27

Post by RimasG » Wed Apr 07, 2021 2:54 pm

Don't worry, there will be no problems. My archives are from 2002, that is, from the Finale 2002 version. I'm currently working with Fin 206.3.1 and never none of the files from the archives "struck" when I wanted to open them with Fin 26 and Win 10.
Win11 64bit, Fin27.3, TGTools pro,
Perfect Layout Silver, Transcribe,
Casio CDP-200R

Djard
Finale Version: Finale 26

Post by Djard » Wed Apr 07, 2021 4:52 pm

I upgraded from v2012 to v26 and spent weeks correcting files converted from .mus to .musx. I had to convert them to AudioXML format firstly as a dizzying number of issues were created, and many files simply failed to convert at all. Such elements as articulations were either lost or scattered, and measure spacing often went haywire. Playback problems were especially difficult to fix. But I managed to solve all the problems, thanks in large part to the wizards at this forum. But then my documents are heavily edited, and Finale does not like guitar notation, especially glissandi and bends. If you have simple orchestration, you might be more fortunate.

The latest version of Finale is not bug free as MakMusic admits. It even took a step back by not being fully compatible with Windows: unlike PDF files, MUSX files are not saved in the location from which they are opened when working with multiple documents. Despite the horror that I faced converting my library of documents, I do recommend an upgrade if your new system has a high-resolution screen; otherwise the icons in the GUI will appear microscopic, and you will need to lower the quality of the display. The latest version accommodates 4K screens.

ebiggs1

Post by ebiggs1 » Thu Apr 08, 2021 1:39 pm

Why some people see problems and other see none is a mystery!
Finale 27.4.1 - Perfect Layout Silver - Note Performer 4.4 - SmartScore Pro 64 - Windows 11

Djard

Post by Djard » Fri Apr 09, 2021 3:36 am

I think some people experience very few problems with Finale because of the type of music they write. When scoring orchestration, Finale appears quite stable. But writing for guitar, using three or four layers, adding repeats, including arppegiated chord ariculations, fingering, string numbering, glissandi, bends and assigning a percussive sound in layer 4, the issues pop up everywhere.

Finale abhors editing, like percussion maps; inserting measures; copying & pasting sections; and adding, reordering and changing instruments that involves switching between Garritan and SmartMusic.

Since I am unable to write a score without needing to change something (I never get it right the first time), and MakeMusic is bent on adding new features rather than fix known problems each version, I do not foresee any change my ambivalence toward Finale. Yet I still think it is a wonderful program.

ebiggs1

Post by ebiggs1 » Fri Apr 09, 2021 2:02 pm

"Finale abhors editing, like percussion maps; inserting measures; copying & pasting sections; and adding, reordering and changing instruments that involves switching between Garritan and SmartMusic.
"

I do all that! I even use the add-ons Perfect Layout and note Performer 3. I use NP3 mixed with Garritan. I edit. I change instruments and maps. I don't do guitar, however. I also do the unrecommended thing of leaving Finale 26 running for days at a time.

I use layers especially layer 2 for divis parts and layer 4 for cues all the time.
"I do recommend an upgrade if your new system has a high-resolution screen; ..."
I don't know about that part. I have a fairly off the shelf LG monitor from Microcenter. It is a 32" and four or five years old. Nothing spectacular. It works.

I have no idea what or why you are seeing so much problems. And, for that all I can say is. I feel for ya. But like I told someone above you'll never find the problem until you look where or what it is or why. it is. The very nearly same scenario seems to be common for both of us and yet I am not having issues and you are.

Djard

Post by Djard » Sun Apr 11, 2021 5:55 pm

Finale's Human Playback sends MIDI messages that affect the Mod Wheel for Garritan's "Electric Bass (pick)," basing its messages on
the staff name (e.g. "Bass"). The following is what I must do to contend with the veritable bug of imposed vibrato.

1. Press "Ctrl" + "K" keys to open Score Manager -> Instrument tab.
2. Select (highlight) "Bass Guitar" in "Instrument" column -> click on "Full Name" at lower left.
3. In text field, change "Bass" to "Bass Guitar" (without the quote marks, and do NOT abbreviate the name) -> OK.
4. MIDI/Audio (upper text menu) -> VST Banks & Effects -> click on the pencil icon (edit) next to ARIA Player -> Select "Electric Bass (pick)." When selected, a white rectangle appears under the number.
5. Drag the "Mode" wheel at bottom left down fully to completely remove all vibrato. Audit your your work by sustaining a note on the keyboard at bottom -> exit. HP will retain the vibrato setting, according to the Mod Wheel.
6. If the staff name, "Bass Guitar" does not fit in the left page margin, drag it to just above the clef -> right-click on the staff name -> uncheck "Show" then use the Text Tool to type in shorter name, such as "Bass."

The problems I encounter when writing for flamenco and classical guitar are more complex. But the issue above illustrates the unfortunate fact that Finale is not friendly towards any type of guitar.

If you are able to obtain playback of Electric Pick Bass without having to use the above workaround, please let me know.