Strange behaviour when printing to PDF

General notation questions, including advanced notation, formatting, etc., go here.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

sergiobn

Post by sergiobn » Fri Apr 09, 2021 8:33 pm

I use Finale for Mac v. 25.5 and it's occurring a strange problem when I try to print some parts to PDF. Fig 1 is the detail of a sheet I created in Finale. After I have printed the entire sheet to PDF, you can see in Fig 2 what happens with this detail. the words Ao TEMA and CODA were shifted to the left and the 32 bars of waiting were transformed into 1 + 31 bars. I cannot figure out why is this happening. Someone knows any workaround to solve this problem?
Attachments
fig. 2.png
fig. 2.png (87.27 KiB) Viewed 855 times
fig. 1.png
Sergio Barrozo

Peter Thomsen
Finale Version: Finale v27.4
Operating System: Mac

Post by Peter Thomsen » Fri Apr 09, 2021 8:53 pm

1) Document Options - Multimeasure Rests
My guess is that the option
Update Automatically
is selected.
Since you obviously have finished entering the music, you can safely de-select {Update Automatically} - you do not need it any longer at this phase of the workflow; {Update Automatically} is for the initial “music entry” phase.

2) It looks like you need, that the first measure in the “especial” region breaks multimeasure rests.
Fix:
Measure Tool.
Double-click the first measure in the “especial” region.
In the Measure Attributes, select {Break a Multimeasure Rest}

3) (Off Topic) Instead of creating PDF files via “Print to PDF”, try exporting as PDF from the Graphics Tool.
It is just as fast as printing to PDF, and you get PDF files in true Black-and-White.
Mac OS X 12.6.9 (Monterey), Finale user since 1996

sergiobn

Post by sergiobn » Fri Apr 09, 2021 10:23 pm

Thank you Peter. You solved my problem. Thank you very much. :)
Sergio Barrozo