Strange repeat sign behaviour

General notation questions, including advanced notation, formatting, etc., go here.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

sergiobn

Post by sergiobn » Sat Apr 17, 2021 11:17 pm

I use Finale v. 25.5 for Mac and I'm having a problem with repeat signs as that in fig. 1. When I create a system and then a group, and then add a repeat sign it shows strange, and it appears to have a second repeat sign superimposed in the first line as in fig. 1. This doesn't always happens, but when it happens I can't figure out how to remove.
Attachments
fig. 1.png
fig. 1.png (129.59 KiB) Viewed 1182 times
Sergio Barrozo

Peter Thomsen
Finale Version: Finale v27.4
Operating System: Mac

Post by Peter Thomsen » Sun Apr 18, 2021 2:10 am

My first guess would be that there are two staff groups:
- one group including only the top staff,
- another group including both staves.

Staff Tool.

Take a look in
Staff menu > Groups and Brackets > Edit…

In the dialog box Group Attributes, in the top right, you can use the pop up menu to go through the document’s staff groups.

For each staff group you can see which staff is the Top Staff, and which staff is the Bottom Staff.
Mac OS X 12.6.9 (Monterey), Finale user since 1996

sergiobn

Post by sergiobn » Sun Apr 18, 2021 3:51 pm

Hi Peter, thank you for your reply. I opened the menu but I could not see the option to change the groups of the top staff and bottom staff. I tried to change some combinations in the menu but without success. I don't know why this happens because I have several parts where this problem doesn't occur.
Sergio Barrozo

motet
Finale Version: 2014.5,2011,2005,27
Operating System: Windows

Post by motet » Sun Apr 18, 2021 3:57 pm

If you can attach your file, someone will get to the bottom of it. You can delete all but that measure.

Peter Thomsen
Finale Version: Finale v27.4
Operating System: Mac

Post by Peter Thomsen » Sun Apr 18, 2021 5:30 pm

sergiobn wrote:
Sun Apr 18, 2021 3:51 pm
… I opened the menu but I could not see the option to change the groups of the top staff and bottom staff. I tried to change some combinations in the menu but without success …
Sorry, I was not clear enough.
What I meant, was that you can use the Group Attributes to identify the problem.
If there is a staff group that includes only the top staff, then you have found the culprit.

Two solutions:

1) You can delete the staff group that includes only the top staff.
This is done with the Staff Tool when you have returned to the score; you can not delete a staff group while you are in the Group Attributes.
To delete a staff group:
Select a handle on the staff group, and go to
Staff menu > Groups and Brackets > Remove
This step will remove the staff group (not just the group bracket, but also the group).
You can also delete a group via the context menu (context-click on a group handle, to make the context menu appear).

2) Or you can edit the group so that the group includes both staves (= so that the lower staff is the group’s Bottom Staff).
Mac OS X 12.6.9 (Monterey), Finale user since 1996