Fingering Markings for Piano Scores

General notation questions, including advanced notation, formatting, etc., go here.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

trentmuse
Finale Version: 26
Operating System: Windows

Post by trentmuse » Mon Apr 19, 2021 10:17 pm

Hello,

This is my first post in the forum and this issue is something that has frustrated me for quite some time now. I am not sure if there is a solution or not but I feel there must be (I just have not been able to find it). Whenever I add in fingerings for my piano sheet music, by default the software places them auto notehead/stem side. For piano scoring the fingering should be located outside the grand staff, but in the Articulation Designer I see no options for this. It gets annoying after a while to constantly drag the numbers outside the staff as it usually incorrectly places the LH fingerings (it usually places the RH fingerings correctly by default). Has anyone else dealt with this issue or found a working solution that doesn't involve manually adjusting each fingering? Maybe I'm just missing something. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

zuill
Finale Version: Finale 2011-v26.3.1

Post by zuill » Mon Apr 19, 2021 10:30 pm

There are placement options in the Articulation Designer window. Are you wanting one set for above the staff, and one set for below the staff? With the new paradigm, I just use one set and press F after entry if it needs flipping. That way I can use the same Metatools (1-5) for all fingering.

Zuill
Windows 10, Finale 2011-v26.3.1
"When all is said and done, more is said than done."

snohomishfamilymusic
Finale Version: 26

Post by snohomishfamilymusic » Sun May 23, 2021 3:41 am

Thank you both - for asking the question and for the excellent answer. It's not perfect, but it is so much better than dragging the fingerings!

motet
Finale Version: 2014.5,2011,2005,27

Post by motet » Sun May 23, 2021 4:51 am

Or, have two sets, and use metatools 12345 for above and QWERT for below.

Michel R E
Finale Version: Finale 2012, 25, 26

Post by Michel R E » Sun May 23, 2021 4:56 pm

zuill wrote:
Mon Apr 19, 2021 10:30 pm
There are placement options in the Articulation Designer window. Are you wanting one set for above the staff, and one set for below the staff? With the new paradigm, I just use one set and press F after entry if it needs flipping. That way I can use the same Metatools (1-5) for all fingering.

Zuill
when you "flip" them, does it also change the order of the articulations?

above the staff, 5 would be the topmost fingering, while below the it would be the bottommost articulation.
User of Finale since version 3.0 on Windows.
Now using a mix of Finale 2012, Finale 25, and 26.1
GPO, Garritan Solo Stradivari violin, Gofriller Solo Cello.
XSamples Chamber Ensemble.
Absolute convert to NotePerformer3.

zuill
Finale Version: Finale 2011-v26.3.1

Post by zuill » Sun May 23, 2021 6:25 pm

Following the standard of RH above the staff and LH below, yes.. In more complicated scenarios where RH might have a second voice, so fingerings might be below, then there is a bit more work. In that case, it is helpful to turn off the automatic stacking (right click menu) for those and manually position them. But for the standard use, they appear in the correct order.

Zuill
Windows 10, Finale 2011-v26.3.1
"When all is said and done, more is said than done."