Disjointed beams across barline

General notation questions, including advanced notation, formatting, etc., go here.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

[ML]
Finale Version: Finale 2014.5
Operating System: Windows

Post by [ML] » Fri Apr 23, 2021 11:14 am

I have a passage (in 7/8) for which I wish to have beams across barlines for one part. I have used the Patterson "Beam over barline" plugin but I am getting inconsistent results.
The first beam across a barline works in appearance, but does not playback. This is a minor issue but if someone knows how to fix it, that would be appreciated.
The second beam is disjointed, with a change in the angle of the beam and a break, about the width of the barline, close to, but not exactly lining up with, the barline. See below. This plays back correctly, but there are no hidden notes, whereas there are for the previous bar.
Beaming across barline.jpg
I have tried creating the beams for the complete passage and also a pair of bars at a time, but both have the same result.
Is this as good as it gets?

zuill
Finale Version: Finale 2011-v26.3.1

Post by zuill » Fri Apr 23, 2021 2:01 pm

I am guessing that when the plugin was applied, the third measure was on the next system. The plugin works differently when they are on the system. Now that they are, reapply the plugin and it should fix the problem. As far as playback, that is easy to fix. When in Speedy Entry, ctrl-click the second bar. The first 2 entries have Playback unchecked. Check the Playback box. For the third bar, do the same, except only the first entry needs to have that box checked.

If the systems aren't locked, there's a chance the measures could get moved to another system again. Consider not applying the plugin until systems are finalized and locked.

Zuill
Windows 10, Finale 2011-v26.3.1
"When all is said and done, more is said than done."

[ML]
Finale Version: Finale 2014.5

Post by [ML] » Fri Apr 23, 2021 3:53 pm

Thankyou Zuill, that was the problem and now it is all fixed.