Does setting placement of articulations work?

General notation questions, including advanced notation, formatting, etc., go here.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

Djard
Finale Version: Finale 26
Operating System: Windows

Post by Djard » Thu Apr 29, 2021 10:27 pm

When adding fingering numbers as articulations, I am unable to get "Distance from entry" in Articulation Designer to work. I tried entering a variety of values, from -5.0 to 5.0, but the figures always get placed just right of wherever I click. Am I overlooking something, or is this issue yet another Finale bug?

Below are the settings I use.

Distance from Entry.jpg

motet
Finale Version: 2014.5,2011,2005,27

Post by motet » Thu Apr 29, 2021 10:36 pm

I think you want "Handle positioning." I don't know what "distance from entry" is (but press the Help button and read up). It doesn't appear in my version; perhaps it's part of the stacked articulations fiasco.

Peter Thomsen
Finale Version: Finale v27.4
Operating System: Mac

Post by Peter Thomsen » Thu Apr 29, 2021 10:48 pm

Djard wrote:
Thu Apr 29, 2021 10:27 pm
When adding fingering numbers as articulations, I am unable to get "Distance from entry" in Articulation Designer to work. I tried entering a variety of values, from -5.0 to 5.0, but the figures always get placed just right of wherever I click …
It sounds like you need the articulation placed at its “default positioning”, rather than where you click (= manually positioned).

To get the articulation positioned at its “default positioning”, drag across the beat.

1) If there is a programmed metatool for the articulation, hold down the programmed metatool key while dragging.
The metatool will add the articulation in its “default positioning”.

2) If there is no programmed metatool for the articulation, dragging will make Finale display the Articulation Selection where you can choose the articulation.
Because you dragged, Finale will add the articulation in its “default positioning”.
Mac OS X 12.6.9 (Monterey), Finale user since 1996

Djard
Finale Version: Finale 26

Post by Djard » Fri Apr 30, 2021 6:32 pm

Ah! The "Handle Positioning" refers to the actual position of the character, not the handle. The following coordinates work fine for classical and flamenco guitar.

L.H.
Main Symbol
H: -0.156
V: -0.042
Flipped
H: -0.156
V: -0.042

R.H. (i-m-a)
Main Symbol
H: 0.018
V: 0.3
Flipped
H: 0.018
V: 0.3

R.H. (p)
Main Symbol
H: -0.15
V: 0
Flipped
H: -0.15
V: 0

My solution in the past was to create the figures and letters as shapes, the correct distance from the note head; so that when clicking in the center of the note, the figure is correctly placed just left of the note, sparing me from nudging it into place that slows down productivity. In my current (half finished document), I did not import my custom library file with the fingering as shapes. So I tried using the characters in the Articulation tool, not wanting to import the library file because it will duplicate all the articulations, expressions and lines, bloating the document that further destabilizes Finale.

The option above solved my problem.

Thanks.