Lyrics disappearing after copy/paste

General notation questions, including advanced notation, formatting, etc., go here.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

Roberto
Finale Version: 27.2.0.144
Operating System: Windows

Post by Roberto » Thu May 06, 2021 1:22 pm

I would like to copy everything but the lyrics from bar 1 and paste to bar 3.
02 - before.JPG
Fig. A
The filter is configured to copy everything except the lyrics.
01-selection.JPG
Fig. B
This is the result of the copy/paste operation. I don't understand why the lyrics disappear when they are excluded by the filter.
03 - result.JPG
Fig. C

zuill
Finale Version: Finale 2011-v26.3.1

Post by zuill » Thu May 06, 2021 3:10 pm

I'm going to guess that the behavior is probably by design. I think they probably made it capable of copying to a staff that doesn't need lyrics (vocal line to instrumental line). They could probably change the code to paste other items and leave existing lyrics alone. Since the lyrics are still in the lyrics window, you can click them back in. However, that is a bit more work.

Zuill

P.S.: workaround: You cold copy the destination measure (ctrl-C) first. Then highlight the measure that will be copied and press the destination with the mouse while holding ctrl. Then change the filter to only include lyrics. Select the destination measure and press ctrl-v. The lyrics only will be restored.
Last edited by zuill on Thu May 06, 2021 3:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Windows 10, Finale 2011-v26.3.1
"When all is said and done, more is said than done."

Peter Thomsen
Finale Version: Finale v27.4
Operating System: Mac

Post by Peter Thomsen » Thu May 06, 2021 3:15 pm

You copy/paste notes without lyrics to Measure 3, and you get notes without lyrics in Measure 3.
Everything note attached (such as lyrics) that was in Measure 3, is removed - and replaced by the notes without lyrics.
This is Finale’s default behaviour.

In your example, to change the notes without removing the note attached items (such as lyrics), I would try the Repitch Tool (which is a sub-tool in the Simple Entry Tool).
Mac OS X 12.6.9 (Monterey), Finale user since 1996

mmike
Finale Version: 27.4

Post by mmike » Thu May 06, 2021 3:50 pm

Maybe I misunderstand what you are trying to do, but looking at your example it seems that you are copying only chords, articulations and expressions. If that's all you want to copy, then set the filter to only include these (or any other) items (rather than exclude lyrics), then you can copy them to that other measure and the lyrics remain.
Finale 3.7 > 27.4.1, GPO5, ASUS laptop, 18.4'' display, Intel Core i7, 32GB RAM, WIN 10 Pro, Cubase

Roberto
Finale Version: 27.2.0.144

Post by Roberto » Thu May 06, 2021 9:28 pm

mmike wrote:
Thu May 06, 2021 3:50 pm
... set the filter to only include these (or any other) items (rather than exclude lyrics), then you can copy them to that other measure and the lyrics remain.
Thanks, mmike. Your suggestion did the trick.

However I'm still curious as to why "inclusion" works and "exclusion" doesn't.