Changes in Guitar TAB v26?

General notation questions, including advanced notation, formatting, etc., go here.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

Fulcanelli
Finale Version: Finale 2009
Operating System: Windows

Post by Fulcanelli » Fri May 07, 2021 2:48 pm

I have been using Finale since 2007 and this new version is driving me to the nut house. I know there are issues with tuning, especially that nasty "G" chord with open strings. Whoever programed Finale way back when ... are these problems due to the coder not programming TAB to proper standard tuning? I used to complain about this problem, for years and they haven't fix it.

But now I'm having new problems - with TAB note alignment during the editing process. I will attach a score that I'm working on that is driving me nuts. Measure 18 is a mess!

Is there a way to permanently fix this by applying a default setting? Most of my work is with guitar TAB.

And another odd problem. When I print this to PDF using Micro$oft's Print to PDF function, the 'printed' PDF has differences. For instance in measure 7, the G/B chord...the PDF file my friend received does not have the lowest note (B) and in fact no note on the fifth string and a G on the fourth string (5th fret.) Is this a Finale problem or a Micro$oft problem? In either event, it is MY problem.

HelP?
Beatles_Yesterday_C_Apr2021_may5.musx
(212.86 KiB) Downloaded 68 times

zuill
Finale Version: Finale 2011-v26.3.1

Post by zuill » Fri May 07, 2021 3:35 pm

I cleaned up bar 18. In the notation staff, there was misalignment, and beat 3 had a dotted 16th followed by an 8th, which probably should have been a 16th followed by a dotted 8th. Also, there were offsets to the horizontal position of some of the notes. Easily fixed by the JW Change plugin.

Regarding bar 7, I printed to CutePDF and it prints fine. However, i think the 5 on string 5 doesn't reflect what you have in the staff above. There, you have a B tied to a B in layer 2, then only 3 notes in layer 1. Maybe I'm missing something.

Zuill

P.S.: Regarding Bar 7 (as well as Bar 29), I think the attached picture reflects the chord on the notation staff.
Beatles_Yesterday_C_Apr2021_may5 Bar 7.jpg
P.P.S.: As far as the fingering in Bar 18, I didn't know where it should have been placed. I figured that once the notes were aligned properly, then those could be placed where needed. Since they are Page Attached text Blocks, they aren't attached to any notes. I would use either Articulations or Expressions for those.
Attachments
Beatles_Yesterday_C_Apr2021_may5 Revised.musx
(212.77 KiB) Downloaded 53 times
Windows 10, Finale 2011-v26.3.1
"When all is said and done, more is said than done."

Fulcanelli
Finale Version: Finale 2009

Post by Fulcanelli » Sat May 08, 2021 12:38 am

That's not what my friend printed. He will scan it and send it to me and I will post it. As for the mistake in bar 18, I got frustrated and left it unfinished. But my real question isn't about this song...it's about setting up Finale with default settings (if I can do that) so I won't have problems like this. I rarely had misaligned TAB like this with earlier versions. I'll look into JW change...this fixes alignment issues?

So if the problem is not Finale - do you have any speculations on where it is? I was thinking Microsoft as they have been changing Windows quite a bit and I had other third party software issues that were caused by changes MS made. It makes no sense to me...seeing my document, creating a PDF and sending it and that copy is different.

zuill
Finale Version: Finale 2011-v26.3.1

Post by zuill » Sat May 08, 2021 3:29 am

Sometimes things get misaligned when working with layers. Did you enter the notes first and then copy/paste to TAB? v26 works basically the same as in earlier versions.

Zuill
Windows 10, Finale 2011-v26.3.1
"When all is said and done, more is said than done."